books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Find Your Perfect Autumn Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Last year, I wrote about things that introverts can do on Halloween. This time around, I’m going to elaborate and provide you spooky sisters with some fantastic books that will keep the Halloween spirit alive and well throughout autumn. While it’s not technically All Hallows Eve until October 31, these books will keep the chills and thrills going all month long.

If You Don’t Like Being Scared: “Good Omens” by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

It seems hypocritical to suggest a not-so-scary book for the season of witches and werewolves, but “Good Omens” is perfect for those scaredy-cats who want a good read. “Good Omens” is all about angels, demons, witches and the end of the world—you know, typical stuff. It’s even being made into a television series with “Doctor Who” alum David Tennant. With witty prose and remarkable characters, you’re sure to read it in a matter of days… just finish it before the apocalypse, okay?

If You Love Scary Movies: “It” by Stephen King

Okay, so not all of us have the time or energy to read over 1,000 pages of people screwing around in Maine. But if you’re a fan of “Stranger Things,” “The Goonies” or even the actual movie “It,” you’ll want to dedicate some time to a contemporary classic. Killer clowns and creepy towns are universally terrifying. But imagine your worst fear coming to life, following you day and night…

Quick note: if your worst fear is reading, you should probably click off this list.

If You’re Feeling Nostalgic: “Goosebumps” by R.L. Stine

The oozing green font is unyieldingly recognizable. Even if you never checked one of these books out from the library, you saw dummies and vampires peeking out at you from between paperback covers of “Animal Arc” and “Pony Pals.” These books never get too scary but are perfect to help set the Halloween mood. And if you want to be adventurous, you could supplement your “Goosebumps” experience by watching the television series on Netflix or listening to Goosebuds, a “Goosebumps” podcast.

If You Want A Good Scare: “House of Leaves” by Mark Danielewski

Coming in at 709 paperback pages, “House of Leaves” is about a house that’s larger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Yes, you read that right.

The elevator pitch seems simple enough, yet the story is anything but. Told through letters, interviews and personal accounts, this novel details the characters’ descent into madness, as well as their descent into the bowels of the house. By the way, did you hear something growling?

If You Have An Affinity For Monsters: “Dracula” by Bram Stoker

Sometimes, a good old “dark and stormy night” is enough to set the mood. Perhaps you’re a fan of monster movies, or you just really like “Twilight.” Whatever the case, check out the vampire who started it all—“Dracula.” Watch him climb over walls, hypnotize beautiful virgins and just generally mess with an entire town of very confused people. There aren’t any werewolves, though, so I hope “Twilight” fans aren’t disappointed.

If You’ve Already Read All Of These: “Meddling Kids” by Edgar Cantero

Beloved teen detectives are all grown up, but something from their past haunts all of them… and their meddling dog, too. “Meddling Kids” is an homage to “Scooby-Doo,” where the monsters are as real as the masks they used to pull off of culprits. This book is severely underrated. It’s written by a cartoonist, whose prose is unique and delicious (except when he’s describing slime or goop). Now that The Spooky Season is upon us, “Meddling Kids” is a must-read sleeper hit!

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.