Celebrities Stand Up for Women’s Rights Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

America has come a long way since its beginning. We’ve won many battles through our ongoing fight for equality, but the war is not yet over. Despite all of the progress we made, injustice exists for many subsects in our society. In America and around the world, women suffer from violence, sexual assault, sex trafficking, wage gaps, lack of reproductive rights, ageism and other forms of gender inequality. Many celebrities have stood up for women’s rights issues in recent years. In honor of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, here are just a few examples of the many celebrities who have taken a stand for women’s issues:

Violence Against Women

Angelina Jolie is a strong advocate for women’s rights around the globe. She demands that women be treated as equals to men, and she calls for violence against women to end. To help achieve these goals, she supports the education of women, so that they may become leaders around the world.

Sexual Assault

As countless women continue to speak out about Harvey Weinstein and others like him, Drew Barrymore recognizes the importance of this time in history. When women come forward to speak out against sexual assault, it is empowering not only for them but for victims around the world. It is crucial for strong, brave celebrities to come forward with these injustices, so that they may be prevented in the future.

Sex Trafficking

Sex trafficking is a global issue, and despite the socioeconomic status of the United States, the country houses many victims of this heinous crime. The recent case of Cyntoia Brown, a young girl who is charged with murdering her abuser, has started a huge conversation. Celebrities have raised their voices through social media, calling for justice for Brown. Rihanna, T.I. and Kim Kardashian among others have joined the voices of Americans across the country.

The Wage Gap

The wage gap percolates through all levels of society. Evidence of gender inequality when it comes to wages can be found throughout the history of most cultures. Even the highest paid celebrities are exposed to the effects of the wage gap and gender inequality. Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Mila Kunis and Oprah Winfrey are just two of the many celebrities to speak out about the issue. The good news is, recent PEW Research studies suggest that we’re making progress and the gap is narrowing.In 1980, women earned just 64% of what men earned. In 2015, that number had risen to 83%. Although equality still isn’t a reality when it comes to wages, we continue to close the gap.

Reproductive Rights

Millions across the country showed their support for the Women’s March. Reproductive rights were one of the many issues the march supported. Many celebrities including Zendaya, Amy Schumer and Scarlett Johansson showed their support by attending the march. The march demonstrated the unity and support for women’s rights as they voiced their need for equal rights and reproductive rights.

Ageism

All women are susceptible to ageism. Madonna is one of the conversation leaders about ageism in Hollywood. Women often experience more frequent and severe forms of ageism than men, making it another form of sexism. Ageism can have negative effects on the hiring process and pay. Women in Hollywood are perhaps more at risk of having ageist encounters because of the nature of their career.

Women’s issues still exist, but they continue to improve as time goes on. As women unite and fight for their voices and their equal place in society, the momentum continues to grow. Celebrities often serve as catalysts, but it’s up to all of us to share in these movements by expressing personal opinions and ideas as contributing members of society.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.