Bullet Journaling 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

If you are a college student, you know by now that one of the most important skills you can have is to be organized. It can be overwhelming to keep track of everything that floats in your brain from that huge assignment due next Monday or a reminder to get your best friend a birthday gift. I am fairly organized when it comes to school. I used a planner and an endless supply of sticky notes, which worked for awhile, but I craved something more creative and organized.

There is a perfect way to track everything you need to do, so throw out your old boring planner, phone apps, and random sticky notes. Bullet journaling is a new phenomenon, a place to keep all your mental lists, calendars, and random doodles. Here’s how you can start using your own bullet journal:

Gather Your Supplies

1. Find the Perfect Notebook

The first step is to find a notebook whether it be lined, dotted or blank paper. Anything from a sketchbook to an old graph notebook that you never used in your calculus class will work.

2. Choose Your Favorite Writing Tools

A black pen is really the only thing you need to use in your bullet journal. If you want to add some color to your journal, highlighters are super useful to color code your calendar.

3. Select Creative Decorations

Stickers and washi tape can be fun to give more texture your pages!

Organize Your Journal

So now you know what you need, let’s talk about how to layout your journal…

1. Create a Key

In the front of your book it is vital to make a key, so you have a system to use throughout the book. This is where you put your symbols on things like notes, tasks, and events. If you are using different colored pens for your classes, this is a good place to keep note of that.

2. Add a Table of Contents (if you choose)

A table of contents is an option for bullet journalers, as some use it and some skip it. If you do this you will want to number your pages as you go along. This is helpful when you need to find a certain page quickly.

3. Design a “Year at a Glance” Page

This is a page where you write out the twelve month calendars. It’s super nice to look at, and helpful when you are trying to make plans. Here, on the yearly calendar page, include everyone’s birthdays so you can keep on top of it!  

4. Design Monthly Calendar Pages

Monthlies are a calendar that usually spreads out over two pages and where you can schedule school assignments deadlines, club meeting times and social plans.

5. Design Weekly Calendar Pages

Weeklies are where you write out the week. Here is where I usually put a list of what I want to complete on that day or important reminders.

6. Leave Space for Creativity

“Anything you want” pages are where you can be super creative. One of my favorite pages I have in my bullet journal is a drawing of a bookshelf and every time I read a new book I write a title. Some people even like to add a countdown to an event, collages, or their favorite quotes!

When it comes to bullet journalling, you just have to learn how to have fun with it. It won’t always be perfect, your pen might smudge and your lines might not be straight but it is an amazing way to keep yourself organized and efficient. Pinterest and Instagram will be your best friend when it comes to inspiration. So grab a notebook and get your favorite pens out and get organized in this new year!

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.