Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

I find Autumn to be a time of shifting and change. It is prolific for many as it signifies the beginning of school, but it is more than that. There is a significant change within nature, as the leaves die a beautiful vibrant death of reds, browns, golds, and auburn. Trees prepare to hide from the deadly chill of winter, the last of the plants flourish, a crop is harvested, and things are seemingly so alive before the great death of winter. 

To me, Autumn is my favorite season, although that makes me entirely biased. There is nothing I dislike about the season. I love the change of nature, the cool breeze makes us pull our sweaters a bit tired, and finally, it seems proper to make a hot cup of tea now. I think these are the small things that paint a broader picture of what a season is or what something means to an individual.

School always created excitement for me. It was an escape from home, boredom, and freedom. Although homework is undeniably a nuisance, the books and learning of new things is always a joy. Being smarter everyday, learning something everyday is thrilling and shapes one’s mind into something glorious. Being around friends, making new friends and being one with the world, especially after the shock of last spring is refreshing and comforting.

But that isn’t all. The ambiance of the bronzing colors, rich deep mustards, maroons, greens, and browns always called to me. It is a natural time of renewal and change. This is not the only enjoyable thing. Fall offers many activities. Recently I went apple picking for the first time and it was very fun. Being outside in nature and taking a moment to breathe in crisp air, and yet still have the warm sun to warm me up is thrilling. The multitude of fresh produce and baked goods are always a plus. There is nothing quite like a warm apple crisp with a cold snowball of ice cream melting down the sides in my opinion. 

Although this is all my opinion. I love fall fashion, the dresses, and sweaters, and I always find something new. This year I have found an appreciation for hats. Which is something I have always been too scared to wear. Then there are the candles, the warm flickering flame with creates the aromatic scent of fresh cinnamon apples, pumpkin sweetness, and vanilla tinges elevate my mind.  

I think the thing I love most about autumn is that it is reliable. A pick me up, a break from the scorch of summer, and an ease into the frigid winter. It’s a time for friends and family, outdoor activities and the little things. Even with the current state of the world I find watching the leaves dance in the wind and the trees shimmy with a breeze to entrance me and remind me of appreciation of the little things. The smaller moments, like sitting at my desk with a coffee, calming music and typing in a ridiculous poetic prose to confess my love for this season. Or maybe it’s the crunch of the leaves underfoot or the small leaves that float into my hair and I don’t realize till much later I had a hitchhiker. Everything just seems a bit more alive, like a last hurrah and rush before the puffer jackets, snow boots, gloves and scarves bind us, and the bitter air bites our cheeks and ears reddening them like sudo-santas. Whatever it is the season calls to me and invigorates a desire for movement, change and difference.

Mary Kirby

Elizabethtown '21

Hi! I’m Mary!