This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Spring is here and that means one very important thing: formal season! Ahh yes, formal. Just like prom, but better, since we all don’t really don’t care as much as we did in our high school years. Think that guy in your chem class is kinda, somewhat cute? Go ahead and ask him. Don’t really want to spend $300 on a sparkly dress that will blind everyone? Yep, borrow your big’s dress from last year. Ate one too many calzones the week before the big day? You’re good girl, no worries. The point is, formal is a more laid back version of prom. And with a chill version of prom, comes a cool, boho dress. So, without further a due, here is your guide to formal. 

The dress: 

The laid-back, I-don’t-care-that-much-but-I’m-still-hot is very in. Anything flowy will do the trick, double points for a pastel, spring shade. Especially when traveling with a Frat to the beach. 

The shoes: 

As much as we hate to admit it, formal IS a little bit dressier than your average grab-a-date. So ditch your downtown wedges with the left strap coming off, and buy yourself a new pair of strappy nude heels. 

The boy: 

This may be the most important detail as far as formal goes, because it determines exactly how much fun you have. So, here is my best advice: go with someone you know you’ll have fun with, whether its your boyfriend of four years or your gay best friend. Formal is about having fun, so make sure your date will ensure you have a good time. And if not, there’s always mangoritas ;).

The Cooler:

We all know this could quite possibly be the most stressful part about formal season. Weather your making one, or helping four of your best

friends with theirs, coolers can seem overwhelming and endless. The best advice is to plan ahead, do everything in pencil first, and there is NO

such thing as too much modge podge. Pinterest will be your best friend.

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.