Why You Should Want to be Close to your Siblings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

When my brother and I go out, we often get random comments about how strange it is to see two siblings that are as close as the two of us are. While it is true, we are very close, he’s one of best friends. I do, however, find it quite odd that people find our friendship weird. Shouldn’t everyone at least want to be close with their siblings? I love my brother. I tell him everything, and vice versa. We don’t tend to keep secrets from eachother. Honestly, I think everyone should strive for a relationship like that with their sibling.

Before you attack me with your pitch forks and your, “You don’t know my brother/sister,” let me explain. Your sibiling is the only person alive that knows what it’s like to have your parents. You can complain to your friends about all of your rules, but they don’t completely understand like your sibling will. Lucky for me, my parents aren’t super strict, so we have really good communication, but sometimes my brother will come and run a problem by me first so that he knows how to bring it up to my parents. 

Having a close relationship with my brother makes me want to be a better person. I know that sounds stupid, but think about it. Your parents are going to, hoepfully, parent you to the best of their ability. They are going to try and teach you right from wrong, and how to be a decent human being. However, I know my brother is watching how I face the world. Everyday I strive to show him how to be kind, happy, and accpeting. I want him to know that it’s more important to be kind than to be rich. 

At the end of the day, my brother is the only person that knows what it’s like to be a Price, just like me. So, even if you don’t necessarily get along with your sibling, make an effort to create that bond with them. Take them to dinner, just the two (or three, or four, or however many siblings you have) of you. If anything, you can sit and talk about those weird things parents do (I don’t know your parents, but I’m sure they do weird things, all paretns do).