Why ECU Game Days are the Best Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

It’s no secret that ECU fans are Pirate fans for life. It’s what we are known for and what keep alumni from coming back, and for all 5th year seniors, it’s what makes it worth it. Football season is what we live for, and the boneyard is unlike any student section in the state. Game days are the best days. We are proud of our colors, and we hoist them high. 

Greenville Bleeds Purple and Gold

On game day, no matter what corner of Greenville you’re in, you will see purple and gold EVERYWHERE.  This tiny little town in Greenville, North Carolina comes alive and turns in to one of the rowdiest, craziest, most supportive groups of football fans you’ve ever seen- there’s no other way to describe it.  Alumni are tailgating, students are tailgating, and they all come together to support one thing: the pirates. 

The Old Row Worthy Tailgates

If you’ve never been to a pirate tailgate, I’m very sorry for you.  There’s no way to explain the packed lots and front yards other than calling it a complete and utter madhouse. You wake up, throw on your jersey, and head out into the town where there’s now a tailgate set up at every corner you turn. Whether the game is at 12pm, 3pm, or 6pm, the Pirates will be there, hours ahead of time, getting rowdy before heading to Dowdy.  

The Pirates Pre-Game Entrance

About 20 minutes before the game starts, Smoke pours out of  the mouth of a pirate skull, shocking the fans in the crowd who have never stepped foot in Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium as the Marching pirates play the E.C Victory song and real-life pirates run out from the cloud of smoke swinging their swords. The head coach, Scottie Montgomery then throws his fists in the air as the team runs out, ready to play their very best game of football in Pirate territory. The spirit, the cheering, the packed stadium of purple and gold is a sight unlike any other.  This town comes alive, and the love for the Pirates shows.

We run NC College Football

NC State and Chapel Hill can try to claim the spotlight for being the best college football team in north Carolina, but lets look at the facts.  Remember in 2014 when Chapel hill let the Pirates beat them 70-41?  Ask a state fan how they felt on September 10th when the Pirates beat the Wolfpack 33-30.  It may have only been a 3 point difference, but they definitely couldn’t hang at the tailgates.  Hell, State fans have written blog articles since the game talking about the spirit in Greenville.  So like I said, they can talk all they want, but everyone knows the Pirates do it best.

All in all, if you haven’t experienced a game day in Greenville I highly suggest you do so.  Theres nothing else like it.  This town bleeds purple and gold, and we will always love our Pirate football.

New Jersey raised, North Carolina crazed Oh, and I like Chipotle