SkinbyCare: Home Acne Treatments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

SkinbyCare

Acne and I have been inseparable since middle school when it decided to make a permanent “home” on my face. As a college student, I constantly worry about upcoming social events and the condition of my skin before I go out. I’ve done numerous amounts of research, seen my fair share of dermatologists, and tried just about everything. My medicine cabinet was piled high with prescription medication and drugstore cleansers. Recently, I’ve decided to give all natural regimens a try. After trying a few different natural techniques, I (finally) found the perfect combinations for my skin and thought I would share.

Tone it up:

• 1/3 Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 2/3 Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel

I absolutely love this toner! The apple cider vinegar helps to gently exfoliate your skin, while the witch hazel calms redness and cleanses. This toner will help balance skins natural pH and get rid of any excess oils.

Hitting the Spot:

• 2 tbsp. Organic Local Honey
  • 2 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. Ground Nutmeg

This spot treatment is key. The honey has antibacterial properties to help clear acne and the nutmeg is a natural exfoliator.  The cinnamon also works to reduce bacteria on the skin. I will leave the spot treatment on for a few hours, or use it as a full-face mask for 15-20 minutes. This mask will leave your face feeling fresh, revitalized, and glowing.

As a woman that struggles with acne I know the insecurities that it can create. I want everyone that shares my struggle to feel empowered and beautiful. I don’t want the troubles of acne to make anyone feel lesser.

If you test out my homemade products, comment below and let me know how they work for you! I will be posting new SkinbyCare articles as often as I can!

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.