This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

With football season wrapping up, I can’t help but flash back to the good old days of the Swashbuckler. This might be two years too late, but I just felt like tailgating at the carwash was just the way it should be done at ECU. Football games were just so much more of an experience when almost all of Greek life, and anyone else really, could gather together in one place for almost every game.

10th and Elm is officially shut down and it just takes so much away from our ECU football tailgating. Greek life or not, both these locations just made the experience worth the hangover.

But something about the Swashbuckler was just so much more of a party to me than 10th and Elm every could be. To my dear freshman and sophomores who were not blessed with the memories that the carwash gave to us… Im sorry. Maybe it’ll come back to life in the future and ECU football will be celebrated the way that it needs to be: drunk, surrounded by beer cans, and dancing to music coming out of the bed of someone’s truck. I don’t think any tailgating location could ever beat the trash cans filled with beer and ice, or the tents and flags that were seen left and right.

It might sound a bit messy, and a bit crazy, but that’s what makes us Pirates. R.I.P. Swashbuckler.

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.