This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I’ve realized one thing over the past year. We will give and give and give, to the same situation over and over again. We’ll fight for things that don’t actually deserve a fight. We’ll put ourselves in the same situation a 1,000 times because it’s comfortable just to realize that the 1,001 time we’ve finally had enough and realize that something has to change. It’s a hard realization, we love comfort and we hate the idea of leaving our comfort zone. But that’s a poor excuse. Being comfortable doesn’t bring new things, it leaves you exactly where you are every single time, with results that never change. Why do we want that? Why would we be okay with constantly seeing ourselves in the same situation? We shouldn’t be, we should be thriving to see new things and have new experiences.

I’m 110% guilty here, I’ve done it even in the last few months. I hate leaving what makes me comfortable, it’s easy to be comfortable, it’s hard to be uncomfortable. But I’ve fully realized the weight and trouble that being comfortable brings to my life. It causes unhappiness because a lot of the time comfortable things are hurtful, you keep doing the same thing because you don’t know anything else and you don’t want to find out what something else may be like. I’ve also seen myself within the past few days take the initiative to walk away from the comfort zone, because I want to grow, I want to see a difference, I want to be genuinely happy with something new. Even if that means I’m uncomfortable for a bit. Like I said being comfortable brings nothing new to the table, now I firmly believe that you can’t miss anything that was meant for you, that things will come at the perfect time, but what if you get to experience more great things by being uncomfortable? Make a new friend, go on a date, anything. Life is too short to be comfortable forever.

Senior at East Carolina University, Communication major with a concentration in Journalism Lover of Jesus, coffee and good books. 
Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.