alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Do Not Let Fear Control Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

In light of recent events in the world, I realized something: I have let fear of danger keep me from living. Whether it was my own fear or someone else’s, it has held me back from living. It seems today our world is becoming more and more dangerous and it makes us feel like we shouldn’t go out and live our lives in fear that something might happen to us while we are at a concert, traveling around the world, or even going to work.

When I was a freshman I got accepted to a study abroad program for the beginning of my sophomore year. This program was going to take me to places I have always wanted to see. I would finally have the chance to see London, Ireland and Scotland. Anyone who knows me knows that there is nowhere else I would love to travel more. My love and passion for European fashion and tea with a splash of milk and two sugars multiple times a day explains it all.  When it came time to commit to the trip my dad voiced his concerns and his desire to not have me go. His reasons being money and terrorism, both being good enough reasons in my mind, I didn’t fight for what I wanted. A few weeks later came the terrorist attack in Paris and that continued to solidify the idea for me that I should stay here in America. I regret the decision I made. 

Here is the reality though; I’m not all that safe here either. I could die in a car accident on my way to work today having never seen the world and having never lived a full life. The odds of me getting hurt at home are just as high if not higher than abroad. Just last Sunday people here in America, were gunned down at a country music festival, one of which I would have attended if I wasn’t a college student who currently is without the funds to make a weekend trip to Las Vegas. When I was freshman in high school, my fellow classmates and I experienced what its like to have a school shooting. In my little town we were still in harms way at school, but that didn’t stop me from going to school to get an education.

I have realized that I cannot let the dangers of the world hold me back from what I want. I decided that if something ever did happen to me in my travels or other experiences life throws my way, that I wouldn’t regret putting myself out there. I know I would regret many things if I never left here. I would regret not taking advantage of the life I had at my fingertips that others were not lucky enough to have. We shouldn’t let evil stop us from living. Think of the things you will miss out on if you stay in a bubble. Don’t allow yourself to stay in that bubble, or allow someone keep you in that bubble.

Carpe Diem.