This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

1. School come’s first.

Seriously guys, I can’t stress this enough; above all the joys in college, your classes come first! That’s the reason why we’re all here, besides discovering ourselves and getting into debt. I too have fallen into the trap of prioritizing incorrectly so if you’re in that situation right now, don’t feel too bad, as long as you turn yourself around and move in the right direction.

2. Out of sight, out of mind.

As they say, ignorance is bliss, and my advice to you is to remove the negativity from your life. Whether that means unfollowing your ex on Instagram or turning around whenever you see a scrumptious cupcake, just do it! College is stressful as it is and you don’t need unnecessary stressors in your life. However, if what’s stressing you is your class, don’t go and hide your textbook!

3. STUDY!

This is self-explanatory. STUDYING is key to your survival in college. If you’ve been in college for any time at all, you know this already. Figure out how you study best. Study with friends or classmates. READ YOUR TEXTBOOK! And remember, study effectively. Cramming for a test is not the best way to do things and neither is studying for hours at a time. Split up your studying so that you’re not wearing yourself out. Even if you think the test is going to be easy, study. I’m sure we’ve all gone through the test we thought was going to be a breeze but tripped us up because it had content we didn’t review. Or the test that crept up on us and took us by surprise. Which brings to my next point.

4. Create a plan.

Getting and staying organized will always help you stay on top of things. Use your planner every day and make sure you check your calendar repeatedly. Being aware of what’s coming is always important. But creating a plan doesn’t end there. College is a crucial point in life where you’re preparing to enter the workforce. Creating meal plans and learning how to budget is a tedious task but it will help in the long run. I just started living on my own and buying groceries; I can’t tell you how many food items have gone bad before I got to use them. Mapping out your classes isn’t a bad idea either. Four years fly by and choosing the wrong classes can really set you back.

5. Get enough rest.

This is another self-explanatory tip. If you get enough sleep, you won’t be cranky, you’ll feel better in the morning and you’ll perform better in your classes. If you’re in class constantly yawning and having your eyes close by themselves, you’re not going to retain the information being taught. Plus, if you’re in a small class, you risk being called out by the professor. Yikes!

6. Communication is key.

If you have an issue with something or someone, communicate it!! I can’t stress this enough. If you are struggling in a class, talk to your professor or go to tutoring. If you’re having an issue with your roommate, tell her about it instead of telling somebody else about it and having her hear about it through someone else. If your significant other is annoying you, tell him or her what exactly is going on and what can be done to fix it. Happy relationships equal a happy life.

7. Be kind.

I’m a firm believer in karma and in “what comes around, goes around”. So, to make your life easier, just be nice. Even if you’re having a bad day, try to be nice to those around you. We’ve all had a rough day where we’ve even been angry at the way the sun shines on our face. By being nice, we prevent someone else having a bad day simply because we’re having a bad day.

8. Try to eat healthy and stay hydrated.

I am the least indicated person to tell you to eat healthy but the saying “you are what you eat” is very true. Eating like crap makes you feel like crap. You don’t necessarily have to drink exactly 8 glasses of water a day but do drink enough throughout the day so that you’re not thirsty.

(If you haven’t seen or read “The Help”, you need to!)

9. Don’t party too hard.

Seriously y’all, everything in moderation. Be safe out there, take care of yourself and remember that all your actions have consequences. Besides that, have fun!