7 Great ECU Course Credits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Registration is stressful for all of us and sometimes it’s good to take a class that won’t make you pull your hair out. If you’re looking for an extra course to sign up for next semester. here is a great list of both interesting and east courses to take that will definitely boost your GPA.

Mythology: CLAS1500 Mythology with Wilson-Okumara is the perfect elective or humanities credit to take if you want something relatively interesting. Attendance for this class isn’t mandatory but the slots do fill up really quick and she gives small 2 or 3 question quizzes once a week. Wilson-Okumara’s lectures and dry humor are brilliant, and she might be a bigger Nikki Manj fan than anyone in our generation. She finds cool ways to associate all the myths with something from our present day, and it makes all the stories easy to remember. As long as you attend the majority of the classes and take basic notes, its no problem to pass.

Intro to Creative Writing: ENG2815 This is a great class to take even if you aren’t good at writing. I took this class with Albright and he was super chill. But most creative writing professors grade purely on making a good effort and grammar isn’t typically a focus. You’ll have around 4 projects during the semester and no final exam, just a final portfolio compiled of edits of your previous projects.

Roman Civilizations- Republic and Empire: CLAS3405 This class should only ever be taken with Cerutti. Its basically a tour through Rome and he includes a brief history of the Republic or the Empire, depending on the section you take. Kind of a then and now sort of thing, and the info is only useful if you travel to Rome. But he’s a super chill professor and the class only consists of two tests, the midterm and the final. So as long as you do decent on those its an easy A. Attendance isn’t mandatory.

Environmental Biology: ONLINE LAB BIO1061 This is the easiest course credit I’ve taken in my three years at ECU. And it’s a perfect match for those of you who struggle in science (like me). If you’re super worried about that Lab credit, just remember, YOU CAN TAKE IT ONLINE. And you don’t have to take the face to face class and the Lab at the same time. It’s a super easy class and all of your assignments, which is usually 2-3, are available on monday and due by the end of the week. In other words, you just do it when you want to. Theres not a set schedule and you have the help of the internet. I highly recommend this course to everyone who isn’t scientifically savvy.

Contemporary Nutrition: NUTR1000 This one was easy as long as you attended class. It was one of my first classes that I took as a freshman. It’s not far from your high school bio class, but its a lot less information which makes it easier.

Digital Photography for Non Art Majors: ART1250 This is a really great fine arts credit, and the only down side is the length of time you’re in the classroom. It’s considered to be a lab so it’s a two and a half hour class twice a week, but the assignments are super easy and there really isn’t a wrong way to take a picture. There are no tests and no quizzes. All grades are participation and completion. And you don’t have to have a fancy camera, your cell phone is perfectly acceptable and is what the majority of your classmates will be using. I took this with professor Smith, but i’ve heard that most photography professors are really laid back, so anyone you take it with should be just as awesome as she is.

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.