10 Reasons to Get a Puppy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Puppy Fever is under way. I think I know of at least 7 or 8 people who have adopted dogs in the last two months. And I can say I am genuinely jealous of every single one of them. There are so many reasons why getting a dog in college is a great idea:

1. They’re cute… Duh.

Just look at that face. Everyone loves a puppy. You will absolutely be the talk of all your friends when you add a little furry child to your family.

2. They make you laugh

The growing up stages of puppy mom hood is probably the best part of raising a four legged baby. The awkward “Im still getting used to the fact I have legs on both ends” is always entertaining. Just wait until they discover their tail.

3. Holds you responsible and accountable. You definitely learn a lot about responsibility when you have a little creature who 100% depends on your love and attention for survival. Its not like that goldfish your mom got you when you were little, they need constant care and affection and trust me they’ll continuously ask for it.

4. Stress relief This is a big one. Puppy therapy is a real thing y’all. Unconditional love and loyalty is a classic staple to a dog. When you come home from a rough day or you’ve failed a test or just didn’t get that job you wanted, it doesn’t hurt to come home to a puppy who’s waited all day to see you. That kind of love can’t be found anywhere else.

5. Companionship You’ll literally always have a snuggle buddy who doesn’t expect anything out of “Netflix and Chill.” Even though they might snore their way through an entire episode, their company is worth having. And they just aim to please you.

6. Reason to get out of the house and be physical Exercise is easy when you’ve got a dog. Walking becomes a lot more entertaining when you have a furry friend to go with you. They might not talk back, but they sure will list during the entire mile.

7. Teaches you about priorities. During puppy motherhood, it’s definitely a test of your priorities. There are going to be some nights where your baby will be more demanding and you wont be able to go out of town, or stay out as late as you want. Little bladders call for more attention.

8. If you weren’t good at budgeting before, you will be now On top of internet, TV, utilities, and rent you now get to include vet bills into your usual payments YAY! Especially with puppies, it’s so important they get all their shots in the early stages of growth so they can be healthy and happy and safely play with all their puppy friends. But between vet bills and food and toys and everything else that comes with owning a dog, your bank account will definitely take a huge hit.

9. So. Much. Attention. No I don’t just mean the puppy. You will get so much annoying love and attention from strangers and friends when you add a fur baby to your household. I have a feeling this is why most college guys get dogs… Chick magnets.

10. Simply human’s best friend When people just get on your last nerves, your dog will always be there for you. Sometimes we just love our dogs more than most humans. And that’s ok.

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.