This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECSU chapter.

Starting her career as a finalist on the television show, So You Think You Can Dance, Canadian singer/songwriter Tate Mcrae has proved to be a multi-talented force to be reckoned with. Her career in music got its start when a YouTube video that she had posted of an original song went viral. From there, Tate pushed hard to release music; multiple EP’s, and two albums to date. Teenagers and millennials started to recognize her by her hit song that went viral on platforms like Tiktok and Instagram in 2020, “You Broke Me First”. The song charted worldwide, gaining lots of recognition for McRae. Since then, she has released several singles that have done decently for an up-and-coming musician, including the tracks “Rubberband”, “You (with Troye Sivan)”, and “She’s All I Wanna Be”. However, none had topped her first big single, “You Broke Me First”, on the charts until recently. 

In September of 2023, Tate shocked the world by releasing a Britney-esque dance record titled “Greedy”. The track was a hit with fans and went viral on TikTok in an instant, with people lip syncing to a clip of her song for weeks before it was even released officially. Once released, the song became her highest charting hit and paved a strong path for the release of her sophomore album, Think Later. “Greedy” charted in the Top 10 worldwide, setting her up for another chart-topper with her second single off of the album titled “Exes”. “Exes” performed well, but did not quite live up to the extreme success of “Greedy”, which is currently on its 23rd week of being on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song has been blowing up on the radio and on social media platforms, and for good reason. 

This begs the question: what has prompted this sudden explosion into stardom for McRae? Internet users agree that this level of pop performance is something that has not been seen in a while in the music industry. McRae has been a breath of fresh air for those reminiscing on the Britney Spears, pop-princess days, where music and dance were combined to create wonderful performances. McRae brings something to the stage that not many others can, at least not to her level, and not many others ever have. McRae will begin her highly anticipated Think Later album tour this April. Her combination of powerful vocals and enticing stage presence have rocketed her career, and have all eyes on her for upcoming projects.

Hi everyone! My name is Jenna, and I am a student at Eastern Connecticut State University studying Communications. I have a heavy interest in social media and the fashion & entertainment industry. I have been a cheerleader for over ten years, and also involved in school choral and theatre programs. I love to write and to use programs like Canva to create fun designs for social media posts and articles.