It’s spooky season – Here are some books to read!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECSU chapter.

There’s nothing more relaxing than fall weather, a cozy blanket, hot chocolate (or a pumpkin spice latte), and a good book. If you’re also looking to have a night in, here are some books that you can add to your reading list for this Halloween season.

Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson

This one is for romance lovers or people who generally like more lighthearted books. Phoebe Walsh is obsessed with true crime, she’s even analyzing the genre in her PhD dissertation. She’s spending the summer in Florida cleaning out her childhood home while mourning the death of her father, whom she hasn’t had a relationship with for years. She becomes convinced that her next-door neighbor, Sam, is a serial killer. But what might be scarier, is that he may genuinely be a nice guy, and perhaps Phoebe may just have to be vulnerable and actually give him a chance.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers should read this book! This book was all over my TikTok for you page and for good reason! Alicia Berenson is living life as a successful painter until one day her husband comes home late and she shoots him in the face five times. She never speaks another word again. Alicia’s refusal to talk turns her case into a mystery that captures the world’s attention and the price of her artwork skyrockets, so she’s hidden from the tabloids in a forensic unit in North London. Theo Faber is the criminal psychotherapist who gets the opportunity to work with Alicia. The book unravels the mystery behind both Alicia and Theo’s motivations. By the end of the book, you’ll be in complete shock!

The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling

This might be the most perfect book for the Halloween season. The main character Vivienne Jones is a heartbroken witch who decides to deal with her breakup by placing a curse on her ex boyfriend (as one does). Although she knows she shouldn’t have done it, she doesn’t worry too much about the consequences because she used an average scented candle to do it. Nine years later, her ex Rhys Penhallow returns to Graves Glen, Georgia and Vivienne realizes her harmless little hex may not be so harmless afterall. Suddenly Graves is under attack by murderous wind up toys, ghosts, and a talking cat. Vivienne and Rhys have to work together to break the curse and save the town while also trying to ignore their chemistry.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca is a 1938 Gothic novel. The book follows an unnamed  young woman who becomes obsessed with her husband’s first wife after realizing she is living in her shadow. The memory of Maxim de Winter’s late wife Rebecca seems to be haunting every square inch of their haunting mansion. The second Mrs. de Winter, is determined to uncover the dark secrets and truths about Maxim’s first wife. This book has become a cult classic, and for fans of gothic literature, this book would be perfect for you, this Halloween season.

My name is Stacey Addo and I'm the Campus Correspondent for HC at ECSU. I'm a senior at ECSU majoring in Communications. I oversee the chapter and love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion, and culture. Outside of Her Campus, I am the Arts and Entertainment editor for the campus lantern, cohost a radio show on campus, and am a part of Eastern Television. I've previously written for College Fashionistas about fashion and small businesses. Over the summer I was an intern for CT Public Radio as a radio talk show intern where I was able to produce episodes for multiple talk shows. Currently I'm a partner for HCxUlta writing articles about hair care. In my spare time I love fashion, watching reality shows and baking. In my free time I love to read and watch mysteries and my current favorite is Only Murders In the Building on Hulu. I also love to crochet!