Halloween Movies for People who don’t like Horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECSU chapter.

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of Horror. I didn’t celebrate Halloween much as a kid, so I never crave the horror that comes with the holiday. What I did love though was the nostalgic fall feelings that came from the fall season. If you’re also not a fan of horror movies like me, here are some Halloween movies that are perfect for the season, but you can actually go to sleep afterward.

Twitches

I looked forward to watching Twitches every Halloween season on the Disney Channel. Starring the Mowry twins, Twitches follows two long-lost twins adopted by two different families. When they reunite and discover they have magical abilities. Together, they unite to save the kingdom of Coventry from dark forces.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Rocky Horror Picture Show is a beloved cult classic. While the movie claims to be a horror, it’s more goofy than scary. The movie follows couple Brad and Janet, who get stuck with a flat tire during a thunderstorm and end up at the creepy mansion of scientist Dr. Frank-Furter. There Brad and Janet meet a houseful of odd characters and are introduced to Frank-Furter’s latest creation, a man named Rocky. Oh, and did I mention it’s a musical?

Hocus Pocus

Directed by Kenny Ortega, Hocus Pocus follows teenager Max Dennison as he explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani, and friend Allison. After dismissing Allison’s stories about the infamous witches of Salem, Max accidentally frees three witches who lived in the house and now must stop them from becoming immortal. Recently, Disney made a second installment to the film. While I haven’t watched it myself, I have heard decent reviews about the film and plan on watching it myself.

Knives Out

Knives Out has easily become one of my favorite movie franchises, but if you’re looking for something with a more autumn feel, the first movie is the way to go (but the second movie is just as good). The circumstances surrounding the death of novelist Harlan Thrombey are mysterious, and Detective Benoit Blanc is determined to solve the case. The movie is filled with so many twists that I couldn’t keep my eyes off the screen. If you love mysteries, this movie will easily become one of your new favorites!

The Nightmare Before Christmas

This is another movie that so many people love! Jack Skellington is Halloweentown’s pumpkin king, but he’s become bored with scaring people every Halloween when he accidentally stumbles into Christmastown. He plans to take over Christmas instead by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over his role, but this plan quickly goes wrong.

My name is Stacey Addo and I'm the Campus Correspondent for HC at ECSU. I'm a senior at ECSU majoring in Communications. I oversee the chapter and love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion, and culture. Outside of Her Campus, I am the Arts and Entertainment editor for the campus lantern, cohost a radio show on campus, and am a part of Eastern Television. I've previously written for College Fashionistas about fashion and small businesses. Over the summer I was an intern for CT Public Radio as a radio talk show intern where I was able to produce episodes for multiple talk shows. Currently I'm a partner for HCxUlta writing articles about hair care. In my spare time I love fashion, watching reality shows and baking. In my free time I love to read and watch mysteries and my current favorite is Only Murders In the Building on Hulu. I also love to crochet!