There, He Said It: Leggings Are Not Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

I have something that I need to say. Leggings are not pants. There, I said it. It’s out there. Now, before you get your wanna-be tights all in a bundle, just hear me out. I have some very valid fashion points that I’d like to make.

There seems to be this idea that, because we’re in Florida and it’s terribly hot at all times, wearing next to nothing is somehow acceptable. Well, news flash: it isn’t.  We’re still human beings, and we still have to look at you every day, so try looking decent.  You may think that wearing leggings with nothing over them is flattering to your curves, and while that may actually be true, it doesn’t mean that leggings were made to be worn that way. They’re practically see-through pants. No, seriously. You’re wearing see-through pants. Perspective.

© Raimond Spekking / CC-BY-SA-3.0 (via Wikimedia Commons)

Why are leggings still around, anyway? As far as I’m concerned, they’re as mid-2000s as those god awful “gaucho pants,” and should follow suit in disappearing from fashion lines everywhere.  At least as pants.  If you want to wear leggings under an adorable dress or as a compliment to your ripped up jean shorts, that’s your prerogative.  You’ll look somewhat like Lindsay Lohan, but if that’s the look you’re going for, so be it.  All I am saying is that covering your tush is probably a good idea, even when it’s 90+ degrees outside.

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.