This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Partying like a rock star is an understatement for the array of gowns, dresses, and face paint that was present at Eckerd’s Spring Ball 2011 this past Saturday. From gladiator heels to sequins, Eckerd’s collegiettes were on point with the upcoming spring styles.

1. One shoulder dresses
While this trend became really popular last year, it is clearly here to stay. The one shoulder dress is flattering on almost all body types because the asymmetrical lines hit everyone in the right spots. For example, big busts and small busts alike can benefit from either the draping fabric one shoulder or the skintight style. Another perk of the one shoulder is that because of its interesting neckline, a necklace is not usually required. It also keeps the attention up drawing from any problem areas you might have. This style was out in full force as the ladies of Eckerd rocked out to the musical stylings of DJ KapSlap and he liked it.

2. Sequins
What better way to party like a rock star than to show up decked out in sequins? From 80’s inspired sequins to sleek, modern silhouettes there were lots of glittering bodies at the Jannus Live. Sequins are a fun option for a night out, however they’re not very forgiving and can really only be paired with solid colored understated accessories. Striking this delicate balance proved to be a challenge for some last night, but was pulled off eloquently by others.

3. Gladiator heels
Gladiator heels are a great way to dress up the popular gladiator sandal trend. Helping to define your legs, this shoe adds an edgy vibe to almost any outfit. Not to mention, they’re comfortable and easy to walk in due to the coverage of the straps that helps create wonderful ankle support. This was an extremely popular choice for the evening. The best combinations were simple dresses with neutral colored shoes and dark nail polish.

4. Statement necklaces
Statement necklaces couldn’t be a more perfect trend. They are universal, look good on anybody, with almost any outfit, and there is a huge variety of styles to choose from. Economically, these are a great investment for those of us pinching pennies. Since you can get them so cheaply, buy a bunch! They put a completely different spin on every outfit. Some that were present at the ball included big, black beads, chains with rhinestones, and bold, colorful flowers. 

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.