Meeting The Folks: What You Should Have Done During Parent’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Parents weekend has come and gone and if you were like me, you may have been forced to hang out with more than just your own parents. Meeting a significant other’s parents is stressful. “Not only is it unpleasant for you to have to spend time with these people, but you also may worry that their disapproval could influence your guy’s feelings for you,” says therapist Lee Schnebly, author of “Being Happy Being Married.” So, here are some tips to make a good impression.

1.  What you wear is important. You need to know your audience. If you’re like me and have a boyfriend with a conservative Christian mother, wearing short shorts and a tank top might not be best. Of course you can still look stylish while impressing the parents. Why not try a cute pair of jeans and a nice top, or better yet, a cute summer dress. I always dress like I’m going to a job interview. Don’t over do it with a suit, but prove your’re serious.
  2.  Be on time. I can’t stress this enough. The first time I was supposed to casually meet my boyfriend’s mom I wandered off from the meeting spot and they left without saying hello. Think of it as a first date; you always want to put your best foot forward.
  3.  Be  confident. You will be nervous, there is probably something wrong if you’re not. However, it is so important to be sure of who you are and what you have to offer their son or daughter. These are things parents want to know, so it’s best you know them too.
  4.  Choose your conversation wisely. Talk about your family, your pets, or your job (or school). Stay away from talking about politics, religion, or money. Don’t tell jokes until you know their sense of humor and try to stay away from questions that may seem too personal.
  5.  Most importantly, be polite to the parents and your date. This should go without saying, but if not, it is so important to make the right impression. Show the parents that you are a well-mannered person that will treat their child right.

It’s always nice to offer to pay for dinner, or help clean it up. This shows you’re considerate, which is a quality most parents like.

There are so many things to remember when meeting the parents that it may seem overwhelming. Just remember to be yourself, be respectful and try to have fun; you want your partner’s parents to like you for you and to see why their son/daughter likes you so much.

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.