A Makeover Story Part II: Jeralyn FINALLY Goes Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Jeralyn Darling can be somewhat…vulgar, crude, generally inappropriate. Take your pick. So, at lunch the other day, while she was making us all somewhat uncomfortable, but also cracking us up, we decided to make a bet. If Jeralyn could go the whole day without cursing, making any sexual innuendos, or being at all improper, then her roommate, Arielle, would go a whole day without any product in her hair. Note: this is something I have never seen, and I have known Arielle for three years now. I have never seen her hair without product in it. Which, I actually didn’t even realize because whatever she does with her hair looks lovely and natural but, apparently without product it’s a hot mess (according to Arielle). 

Now, if Jeralyn could not accomplish this feat, she would have to wear a dress for a whole day, complete with accessories and makeup. Also something I have never seen. Needless to say, I was hoping Jeralyn would lose because we are attempting to make Jeralyn’s wardrobe somewhat more varied and vibrant and this seemed like the perfect excuse to break her out of her box.

On the agreed upon day for the gamble, Jeralyn and I went shopping for a dress and anything else that might change her closet from a barren wasteland to a beautiful butterfly garden. We had immediate fashion success! Jeralyn and I quickly found some lovely black sandals for only $15. They’re perfect for her because they can be worn with anything and are not too flashy, but are definitely more sophisticated than her rubber flip flops, which should be relegated to shower use only. We also found four very pretty shirts that Jeralyn feels beautiful and confident in. More importantly, I think she realized that when something doesn’t fit right or look good, it is not your body that is the problem! More often than not, it is simply because the article of clothing is cheaply made or just plain ugly. Some things are deceivingly cute on the hanger, until we try them on.

We decided to look for a maxi dress for the bet because they are so chic and comfortable and because Jeralyn is not quite ready to show her legs; she usually wears long jeans. We found two potential dresses; the first one Jeralyn was not completely happy with, although I thought it was adorable.  Even thought I was a fan, I didn’t push her to buy it because the cardinal rule of shopping is to only buy it if you will wear it. The second dress was even cuter! But, it was far too small in the bust and gave Jeralyn that awkward quadruple boob look. Not the kind of cleavage we are going for, plus she couldn’t breath (minor detail).  Sadly, we left dress-less. We may not have totally completed our objective but Jeralyn came away with five new things she absolutely loves and a less intimidated reaction to the word “shopping”. Luckily for her, she won the bet.

Although, now that I think of it, I have yet to see Arielle’s hair product-less, so we’ll have to remind her. 

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.