Latest Makeup Trends for Fall/Winter 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Metallic
Metallic eye-shadow is in this fall. It is wild and bold, centering the focus on the eyes. The bright and shimmery colors make you immediately stand out from the rest, lighting up the room with eye blinding shine. This style of eye shadow goes along with the retro sixties trend in clothing that is apparent right now for the fall.

Eye-shadow color wheel

Eye-shadows this season don’t stop at being metallic and shiny. The colors that are a lot more prominent this season include bright green, orange, blue, and purple. These attention grabbing colors can really add that pop factor to your overall make-up look. However wearing these colors the right way can be difficult. These colors are better worn for a night out because they are bright and don’t hide away behind the growing darkness.  During the day time, it would be better to wear them in a lighter shade and a particular piece of clothing in the same color. It’s essential to wear these kinds of eye-shadows with a matching piece of clothing rather than just the color by itself, because otherwise the look can become tacky in appearance.

Dewy natural foundation

The natural youthful look with a bright and glowing complexion is definitely trending this fall. In contrast to the matte look which was and still is very popular this season, which made the face look oil free and soft, the dewy look adds a youthful and fresh look to the face. Sometimes the matte look can make the face look dry and worn out. The dewy look doesn’t do that. It almost adds life to the face with a refreshing baby soft look. I would recommend the dewy foundation to women who have dry skin. Wearing dewy foundation will not make your face look oily but moisturized and refreshed, while also looking natural. For women with oily to combination type skin, I would recommend matte mineral powder foundation. That way your face stays matte, while your natural oils come through giving you a dewy finish without looking overly oily. 

Red Lipstick

Red lipstick is sexy and sophisticated. It makes the lips stand out from the crowd. This sultry lip look can spice up any outfit. Wearing red lipstick or lip gloss always compliments an all-black outfit. If you are going out for the night in a little black dress, splash on a sexy red lipstick to add a dash of boldness and confidence to your outfit. 

All this makeup talk can sound expensive, but no worries as these looks can be achieved cheaply. Some good stores to purchase all your beauty needs are Sephora and Ulta. In these stores they have beauty consultants who can help you find your perfect shade of foundation, concealer and answer any questions you may have about your skin and any beauty products. These stores also carry a wide variety of makeup brands and products varying from inexpensive to fairly expensive. As a side note;  just because a particular makeup is expensive does not mean it will work better or look better. It all depends on your skin type and what you know it needs in order for the make up to look nice. Everyone’s skin is different so it’s important to really take care of your skin and know what its needs. Here are the links to Sephora and Ulta so you can get your beauty on!

http://www.ulta.com/

http://www.sephora.com/