Growing Global Importance of Women’s Education

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Education was never a question for me. There was no alternative to school, I had to go to college so I could make something of myself. Eckerd College isn’t exactly a typical school, either. Our campus is beautiful, I can study macroeconomics on the beach and convince my professors to have class outside occasionally. I’ve been given the opportunity to be an RA, which gives me a single room and free housing. I personally know the staff in our Career Resources department, the department which helped me find two internships last summer. In this environment, it’s easy to forget that nearly 39 million girls around the world aren’t even enrolled in primary school.

There’s a Chinese proverb that says “Women hold up half the sky.” Anyone who’s familiar with the concept of child birth can attest to the importance of women, but even more important is the education of women. It wasn’t until I took Middle Eastern Political Economy last year that I realized just how intertwined a country’s growth is with female education.

Let’s start with the basics: primary school enrollment. According to the 2010 edition of “The World’s Women: Trends and Statistics,” a United Nations report, 72 million children “of primary school age” are not enrolled in schools. 54 percent of those children are girls.

There are simple reasons that they are not in school. According to the Action Aid group, families must pay for enrollment in primary schools in 92 countries. Money alone deters the families, and in societies where men are valued higher than women, sons receive priority in schooling, leaving the daughters at home uneducated. In some cases, families find it more beneficial to have daughters at home tending to domestic needs. In other cases, societies, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa, dictate that women are not fit to have an education.

This is where those societies strap a ball and chain to the leg of their development. Educate your women and both social and economic improvement follows. In social terms, the longer a woman is in school, the longer she delays marriage. In many societies, this means delaying the age of child birth.

In “A Political Economy of the Middle East” by Alan Richards and John Waterbury, the claim is made that female education is “the key” to child mortality rates. Education of girls at a young age gives them access to information about pre-natal care, as well as education about diseases. Countries with higher enrollment rates of females have shown significant improvement in child mortality rates. Trends also often show that as a family’s income increases, the number of children they have decreases.

Economically, increasing literacy, Richards and Waterbury argue, helps increase labor and productivity. Individually, literate women have more job opportunities than illiterate women, allowing for higher incomes. This, in turn, will both help a country industrialize, as well as impact a country’s GDP. A higher standard of living and life expectancy follow.

It’s easy to read about issues like this in an article and to take a stance supporting the education of women. It’s helpful to be in that mindset. But I urge you to become involved, even minimally in an organization that actively impacts women’s education globally. If you would like to become involved, please visit the Campaign for Female Education’s website, www.camfed.org  to support schooling for girls in Africa, or The Girl Fund at www.thegirlfund.org, a United Nations sponsored program aimed at education, health care and protection from violence.

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.