ECOS Commander in Chief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Rhemy, our enthusiastic new ECOS president, is also our Campus Celebrity this week. In case you don’t know, Eckerd College Organization of Students is our student government on campus and is responsible for much of what you experience at Eckerd. Read on to get to know our new Commander in Chief a little better and see what exciting things she has planned for this year.

Graduation Year: 2013

Major: Environmental Studies

Minor: Coastal Management, Biology and Anthropology

Hometown: Tallahassee, Florida

Relationship Status: Single…ready to mingle.

Three words to describe yourself: Quirky, sarcastic and involved.

Fun fact: I collect travelers’ spoons; the kind you get from different cities or states. I think I have close to 45 of them.

Activities and Interests: I’m heavily involved with Palmetto Productions, I play for the Eckerd women’s rugby team and I frequently explore natural areas and do trail work.

Favorite quote: “I am a tree, I can bend”- My mom says it.

What motivated you to be so involved with student government?: After freshman year, essentially I wanted to make more friends and I saw student government as a way to meet new people. Becoming involved with Palmetto Productions and ECOS inspired me to get out there and go to events. Being so active on campus developed into what I enjoy doing.

What are your hopes for ECOS this year?: ECOS is currently working on a student discount card to be released later in the fall. Students can show the card and get 10 percent off at local businesses; we will start with food establishments and expand from there. I hope to install a 24-hour food vending machine on campus for light night eating. Eliza van Dissel, ECOS Executive Vice President, is looking into Rerev technology for the gym, which converts energy from using the exercise machines into electrical power to go back into the power grid. Erin Stringer, Vice President of Academic Affairs, is planning themed Pitchers with Professors. Additionally, we have an extensive plan for the national election with debates and events. I am also looking forward to a very active senate and seeing what they bring to the table.

What are your favorite things about Eckerd?: I like the community atmosphere and I really enjoy having personal relationships with professors and staff. Also I enjoy the physical environment, its warm and conducive to relaxing outside.

What are your post graduation goals?: Currently, I am looking into serving somewhere within the park service, hopefully doing trail work and environmental education.

What would you do if you won the lottery?: I would use some of the money to repay my parents for school, that particular subject is weighing heavy on my mind right now. The rest I would split between the bank and a trip abroad, probably to Africa.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, whom would you want with you?: Hmmm, I’m trying to think of good survivalists that I know. I think I would want Norris Comer, I think he would help keep me alive and he’s a nice guy. And captain Jack Sparrow, he’d probably have something stashed away that we could use.