Eckerd’s Awesome Christmas Guide 2011: What To Give The Friends Who Don’t Know What They Want

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

It’s that time of year.  You’re worried about your Biology finals and writing that last Lit paper when all of a sudden it dawns on you… you have to buy people Christmas presents! Never fear, Eck-heads, this easy-to-use gift guide will help you find something for everyone on your Eckerd list! 

Item: Keurig Coffee Maker

What It Is:The Keurig Coffee Maker is one of the dandiest inventions ever created.  This single cup coffee brewer is the perfect way to enjoy a hot beverage in less than a a minute.  With almost no prep, you’ll have a delicious coffee, tea or hot chocolate ready to drink! Imagine, never having to wait for your coffee maker to brew again!  You just pour in some water, pop in a coffee “K-Cup” cartridge, and press a button.  A minute later, you’re sipping your favorite morning beverage on your way to class. You can even buy your favorite coffee brands’ K-Cups, with virtually every company from Starbucks to Dunkin’ Donuts producing flavors. 

Who Would Want It:The coffee lover on your list!

Price:$79.95 – $249.95

Alternative:Can’t afford a Keurig for your coffee fiend roommate? No problem! Try picking out a colorful travel mug made from recycled materials and a gourmet blend of their favorite brand of coffee. 

Item:A cashmere sweater.

What It Is:A cashmere sweater.

Who Would Want It:Anyone who wants to stay warm on their trip home, or your classmate who is constantly complaining about how “cold” Eckerd is.

Price:$150+

Alternative:So maybe you should leave the sweater-giving duties to Grandma, but there are plenty of ideas on what to give your fellow cold friends.   Take, for instance, a pair of colorfully striped Smartwool Socks. This may seem way-too-practical to give your BFF Jill, but she’ll be texting you many thanks over break when she’s trudging through 6 feet of snow in Connecticut.  There are also plenty of knitting and crocheting aficionados on campus, like Senior Lila Lupetin, who can whip out colorful, stylish hats in many different styles in less than an hour and for only $10 (lilarose1111@gmail.com).   When it comes to staying warm, there are plenty of opportunities for fashionable, fun gifts that anyone would love. 

Item: “Your Favorite Kanye West Tweets – Hand-stitched and Framed”

What It Is:Exactly what it sounds like. Somebody took the time to hand stitch Kanye West’s tweets and frame them. [Insert Kanye-is-a-douche joke here.]

Who Would Want It:A friend with a creative and crafty sense of humor.

Price:$6.00

Alternative: It can be difficult to buy a gift for somebody who seems to have it all, but if Kanye West isn’t your thing, there are plenty of fun gifts on the market this year.  Urban Outfitters is covered in ironic present ideas, with everything from a bacon tie to a mustache flask.  These simple yet effective gifts will have your friends rolling with laughter.  If Urban isn’t your thing, or you want a more original gift, try browsing Etsy.com for some thoughtful, creative and one-of-a-kind gifts that anyone would be sure to enjoy. 

Item: iPad 4

What It Is:This is the fourth generation in Apple’s successful iPad line.  Sure, it doesn’t exist yet, so I can’t specifically describe its attributes, but if you love somebody, don’t you think they deserve it?

Who Would Want It:If you can find it, who wouldn’t?

Price:Probably like $4,000.

Alternative:For the tech-savvy Apple user on your list, try giving something small but useful.  An iTunes gift card is an easy way to say, “I want you to have more music, and I’m also poor [and somewhat uncreative],” but try getting a colorful new case for their iPhone, iPad or Android phone to say, “Hey, I notice you have smartphone technology but you don’t seem to care that your case is old, cracked and/or dirty. Try this one on for size!” You can usually find some pretty creative ones on Amazon or Etsy.com. 

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.