ECDC: The Captains Have Arrived

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Arielle Burger and Jaclyn New are passionate about dance. Both have been dancing since they were young, have been members of the newly renamed Eckerd College Dance Company since they were freshmen, and have ambitious plans as co-captains of the team this year.  They hope that ECDC will remain a staple of school spirit on campus but also hope to create more diverse dance routines and make ECDC a more inclusive experience for all students. Eckerd should be excited to have these talented and inspirational dancers as our Eckerd College Dance Company captains this year.

How long have you been dancing for?
Arielle: Um…since I was in my mother’s stomach.
Jaclyn: Not that long for me. I was in second grade.

What types of dancing do you enjoy most?
Arielle: I like jazz and contemporary.
Jaclyn: I really enjoy modern dance and ballet, because it’s the mother dance.
Arielle: Ballet is the foundation.

What do you love about dancing with the Eckerd College Dance Company?
Arielle: It’s a way to escape the stress of college and we all become friends and support each other. We all share this common interest; we love to dance.
Jaclyn: What I love most is that it’s entirely student run so we have the freedom to do whatever we want with it.

On that note, why did you decide to change the name from Eckerd College Dance Team to Eckerd College Dance Company?
Jaclyn: Because “dance team” has a very stereotypical style associated with it, which is the high school poms and dance.
Arielle: We just wanted to be viewed in a more professional way. And hopefully we can expand the company so it can have a bigger impact.
Jaclyn: We want to be recognized as an artistic entity on campus.

Along with the name change, what other plans do you have for improving the already incredible ECDC?
Jaclyn: Traditionally, we’ve only done hip hop and jazz. We’re going to bring back some basic ballet and contemporary dance to mix things up.
Arielle: We are going to invite guest choreographers and conduct workshops for the dancers and anyone else at Eckerd who is interested.

What are you most looking forward to this year with ECDC?
Jaclyn: All the changes that we’re making and seeing their impact on the company and Eckerd’s response to what we’ve done.
Arielle: You said it exactly.

How do you think ECDC contributes to the Eckerd College community?
Arielle: I feel like we inspire people.
Jaclyn: At sporting events we’re definitely the pump-up element.
Arielle: We motivate people in the audience and get the crowd going.
Jaclyn: Both watching and participating in dance is a type of therapy. It is an experience that everyone can be involved with, especially now that we’re involving other Eckerd students that aren’t necessarily in Dance Company.
Arielle: It is a natural adrenaline rush.

What can students do to get involved with ECDC?
Jaclyn: Come support us at performances, fundraisers, or when we have an open event.
Arielle: Keep a look out for emails, flyers and facebook events.

If you were stranded on an Aquaglide together in Frenchman’s Creek and you could only bring one item, what would you each bring?
Jaclyn: It wouldn’t be so bad, especially with you. We would bring our computer so that we can choreograph together. At least, that’s what I would bring. You can bring Oreos for us, Arielle.
Arielle: Football shaped Oreos.

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.