This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Dorm Room Comforts

Do you ever think that your dorm room doesn’t feel like home or your own space? I know that is always a problem when living on campus. It can be hard to share a room with another person, when you were used to your own personal space back home. There are ways though to make your shared space your own.

• Bring things from home that make you feel comfortable, like a warm blanket, a certain pillow, or maybe a piece of clothing. That way if you’re feeling homesick you can just curl up into it and get that homey feeling.
  • Have your side of the room resemble home if you know you will miss it. Have similar colors that resemble your house, or have a picture of your favorite place at home to always look at.
  • Even though you’re sharing a room you must agree about certain things to make each other comfortable. One main thing is that each of you needs to be understanding and considerate. If not, living together will not work and it’ll only lead to more conflict. Each has to talk to one another to better understand how to live together.
  • Make it fun! Have comfy rugs on the floor, big fluffy, comfy blankets and pillows, hang lights on your walls, have fun posters or pictures or even stickers like I have that resemble your personality, and have things around that keep you happy. A happy and bright room, makes for a happy and bright student.
  • Don’t over stuff your room though. If you’re like me you don’t have time to clean your room constantly. Keep your room less packed and you won’t have to worry about continuously cleaning it. So keep it to a minimum.
  • Be inventive! Don’t keep your room the way it was made up when you moved in. Move the furniture around by doing some Feng Shui to be as comfortable as you like it.
  • Also if you want alone time in your room just talk to your roommate and ask if that can be arranged certain times of the week. If your roommate rocks, they’ll completely understand, but you just need to understand you need to return the favor.