Top 10 Hangover Cures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Hangovers are merely Mother Nature’s way of telling you that you had way too much fun the night before.

Don’t despair, here are ten hangover cures that just might do the trick and get you back on your feet for lectures.

1. Sleep

Time heals all wounds, including hangovers .You drank way too much, so you deserve a good dose of zzzzzz.

This is particularly good if you can find someone to wait on your every need!

2. Sweat

You won’t actually be sweating out that tequila when you start exercising the morning after. But it can help in the way of endorphins!

3. Soda water

Rather than just drinking water, have soda water- the fizziness will help reduce the amount of acetaldehyde in your system. Unless you do chemistry, acetaldehyde probably won’t mean much to you! But essentially, soda water helps your liver to get rid of all the nasty toxins.

Aim for a big glass, add a dash of lemon and consume with cucumbers on your eyes to reduce puffiness.

4. Tactical chunder (aka TC)

Not a great look, but can be a complete saviour.

5. Chow down

Thrown some amazing shapes in Klute last night? You probably burnt your fair share of calories and therefore are fully entitled to a big greasy fry up.

If you live in college that means a nasty wake up call at 8am to get hot breakfast- in which case might be best to stock up on microwaveable bacon and sausage- mmm tasty!

6. Tomatoes

If you’re having a fry up, include tomatoes! They’re rich in vitamin C, which you will need after a night of drinking. Also they can be raw or eaten with pretty much everything: soup, pasta, pizza.

7. Easy on the painkillers

Think twice about going straight to painkillers because alcohol is an irritant to the stomach, so aspirin and ibuprofen (also irritants) will only make matters worse.

8. Congeners

Avoid dark coloured drinks like red wine and brandy, and stick to lighter colours.

These contain less chemicals called ‘congeners’ which cause the worst kind of hangovers.

9. Hair of the Dog

Tried all of the above? This is not one for the faint-hearted. While your body is busy dealing with a new intake of booze, it suspends its torture. But once you stop drinking you’re likely to go back to hangover hell.

If you’re feeling brave, why not try a Bloody Mary?

10. Blame biology

If you’re lucky, you might be among the privileged 23% of the human gene pool with a biological resistance to hangovers. You may be smug but chances are you’re nursing the rest of us!

I'mn a second year Law student from Collingwood, Durham University. I enjoy exploring new places, going travelling and listening to music. Vodka over tequila every time! So very excited to be a part of HerCampus at Durham. Follow me on twitter @rosiemcl
Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.