Sister Chapter Profile: Tamarra Binnie from Her Campus Aberdeen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week, I was lucky enough to catch up with the lovely Tamarra Binnie, the Vice President from our sister chaper Her Campus Aberdeen. We have really enjoyed collaborating with both Tamarra and Lauren this term as part of the sister chapter programme, and its been lovely to get to know both of them!

Name: Tamarra Binnie

Age: 19

Chapter: Aberdeen

Degree: Primary Education 3rd Year

Position: Vice President

Charlie: Hi Tamarra! As you’re Vice President of our sister chapter, Her Campus Aberdeen, could you tell us a bit about your Chapter, and how you became involved with Her Campus?

Tamarra: Hiya! Yeah of course! Our chapter is one of the very few Scottish chapters and we’re at pink level! (Woo) Basically, we’re just a huge group of friends that come from all different academic areas in the university. Some of us would never have met if it wasn’t for HCAU- I think that’s the best thing about it! I came to join when I bumped into some girls at the fresher’s fayre wearing pink, I was in first year and just general such a keen bean. I joined events and have since been social secretary and now VP- working my way up you know!

Charlie: Great! We loved your fairy Halloween costume for your Chapter’s Halloween social! Why did you choose that costume? What are some of your favourite Her Campus memories?

Tamarra: Thank you guys! I was just feeling something traditional- fairies and princesses were all I would dress as when I was a kid so it seemed appropriate. Oh heavens, there’s tons! Let me think… Actually last Halloween I arranged the evening and it was a bar crawl- we had to do all of these cray challenges for points; collecting underwear from boys, throwing freshers’ in bins, proposing to bald men to mention a few. It was mental. I have to say that’s one of my best nights at university so far and I got to share it with all my favourite HCAU babes.

Charlie: I’ve never been to Aberdeen, but where would you recommend Durham students go if they visited for the weekend? (Any brunch places, bars, museums etc.)

Tamarra: There’s this cute little shabby chic place called Institute. If you all come down, we could show you around as they know us well there. We’re regular customers.

Charlie: Thanks for the tips! What’s your favourite country that you’ve ever been to? Do you have any upcoming travelling plans?

Tamarra: Oh that’s a tough one! I’m hoping to go to Madrid this summer and maybe Ibiza afterwards with some gal pals. I go to a different country for three months every summer, 2015 was Italy and 2016 was Spain- I’m always open to new adventures. I recently asked my mum to take me to Dubai- she declined but god loves a trier!

Charlie: What kind of articles do you like writing for Her Campus Aberdeen?

Tamarra: I’m pretty fond of a dating or relationship article even though I’m very much a single girl. I think they’re funny, relatable and easy to write. Write what you like to read- that’s what I always think! My favourite HCAU articles definitely aren’t mine though- you should check out our writers Barbora, Julie, Beverly and Anna- they’ve got some new articles up you’ll see on our page!

Charlie: What other societies are you involved in at university? What are your hobbies other than journalism?

Tamarra: I’m in no other societies- I’m a full time student teacher, a nanny, an au pair in summer and HCAU VP so I’m kept pretty busy. Other than that I love hanging out will my two best friends Kitty and KT at university and I go home every so often to chill with my little sister and let my parents to spoil me!

Charlie: Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, Tamarra. We are so excited to work with Her Campus Aberdeen this term!

20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/