Profile: Durham University’s World Cinema Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week Her Campus Durham caught up with co-presidents of Durham University World Cinema Society, Daniel Milne and Francesco Di Stani, to see what the world of international film screening is all about.

Daniel Milne, President

Francesco Di Stani, other President

Hey boys! Tell us a little bit about the society.

Daniel: World Cinema is a welcoming society for people from any background, getting together over their shared love of film every Thursday in ER 140. It’s a great way to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of uni life once a week.

Why did you get involved in the society?

Daniel: As a film lover myself I’ve been expanding my catalogue, both geographically and in diversity, to embrace the underappreciated gems of worldwide film-making. The society appealed to me by offering a forum to discuss topics that don’t usually come up in conversation. It gave me a chance to befriend like-minded individuals.

Di Stani: I first got involved with the society, like many students, to expand my social interactions with people outside of college and my course. And because Thursdays in Durham are too lit to sleep through. I wasn’t particularly into cinema before joining but I’ve gradually come to appreciate the medium. I think of the society as more of a social space than a cinema screening.

What do your roles involve as co-presidents?

Daniel: Having been a regular attendee through first year (but unfortunately having conflicting commitments in my second) I jumped at the chance to help run the society. Working with Francesco we have helped expand the core group of members by continuously holding joint events with other societies, from Anglo-Japanese to Philosophy. We have also helped relocate the weekly event to the bigger and more convenient ER140. I may have additionally helped push through my favourite foreign film of the last several years: The Hunt. However, the society always shows something out of the norm each week with such a wide catalogue to choose from. Although it might be one of the easier societies to run, the chilled environment and friendly members make it a pleasure to organise and I look forward to each week’s screening

Di Stani: As a co-president I have felt the need to make sure that the society doesn’t drift from its core values and continues showing a wide range of relevant films from all genres and nationalities, and avoid plunging the society into hipster clichés.

And what is your favourite international film, Frank?

Di Stani: From my experience of the society a lot of the films I’ve enjoyed the most have been east-Asian productions, to name one perhaps “Yiyi: A one and a two” was the one I enjoyed the most, but for me it’s always been about the experience and the friends more than anything else.

Does the society have any future plans?

Daniel: Future plans are determined by demand but one thing is for sure, you’ll find us in calm debate every Thursday night at one of Durham’s many watering-holes.

Di Stani: World domination.

Daniel would like to publicly express his contempt for Tarkovsky (above) and Bergman (previous). Di Stani says Bergman isn’t that bad.