courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to a Toxic Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Dear Toxic Friend,

It’s such a shame that at our age now you still make up the most ridiculous excuses. I wasn’t born yesterday and I know that the ‘flu’ you’ve suddenly developed is actually a hangover from last night’s partying that you failed to invite me to. I do realise that this sudden ‘migraine’ you claim to have is an excuse for lying in bed with your boyfriend instead of meeting up with me. No hot water to wash your hair in? If I were really that important, being your childhood friend and all, then you would suffer 3 minutes under the cold tap so you could come and have dinner with me.

It’s so upsetting that over the years you’ve made a habit out of letting me down. Nights out cancelled at the last minute, days I’ve planned gone to waste and even shopping trips I’ve had to do alone. Either you do actually realise how irritating and upsetting it is to be cancelled on last minute, and undermined with a clearly ridiculous excuse or lie, or you really don’t care anymore. Well, I care. I care that I’ve spent time planning an outfit (as trivial as it sounds), organising my work around meeting you, asking my parents to fit in lifts to town and actually, looking forward to seeing you.

Maybe it’s my fault. Maybe I should know better by now that you’re such a selfish person with no regard to how your laziness or lack of loyalty might affect me, my plans and even my family’s plans. I just hope that after reading this letter you know that each time you cancel on me I think less and less of you as a person. I’m not the only one though and if you go through life consistently letting people down for your own selfish means then you’ll have a pretty hard job sustaining relationships with the people that matter most. And even though I’m the one at home, upset and disappointed with no plans, it’s you that I feel sorry for.

So thank you for showing me that I am a better person than you. You’re not even a toxic friend to me anymore – you’re just toxic.

Sincerely,

A disappointed ‘acquaintance’. 

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!