Not Going Out: University’s Greatest Taboo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

I often feel like I’m in a very small minority of people who DON’T like being elbowed out the way, having drinks spilt over me and having a load of sweaty, smelly bodies in my general vicinity. In fact, my aversion to nightclubs seems to be incomprehensible to the thousands of other freshers who flock to the same clubs, every week, without fail.

Common misconceptions associated with hating nightclubs:

I’m a teetotal – no, not that there is anything wrong with being a teetotal but disliking nightclubs does not mean that I don’t enjoy drinks. It just seems to me that a few drinks with friends in a bar is a far more enjoyable experience than a drink which has to be downed in a few short seconds in order to avoid being spilled down my top. 

I’m a social recluse – this is another common misconception. By avoiding nightclubs, it is easy to get the reputation of someone who just wants a quiet night in curled up with a book, a hot drink and a warm bed. And yes, whilst that is often very appealing, my hatred of nightclubs is not an anti-social act. There are so many other ways to socialise – exploring new bars and pubs, discovering different restaurants, making the most of the prices in the various college bars, seeing student productions/gigs…just to name a few things. All of these options seem to me MORE social than clumped together in a club where you can’t hear each other speak and instead communicate through screaming song lyrics at the top of your voice.

I will desist before I risk sounding even more like a grumpy old woman; but, it just seems to me that there is so much more than the same few grotty nightclubs and the student population could benefit from a slightly more open-minded approach. Saying that, I will probably inevitably bump into you in Klute sooner or later.

19 year old Psychology student, Durham University. Londoner through and through and world explorer. Traveller, chef, writer, musical geek, and shower popstar. Completely un-tech-savvy in every way, shape and form.
Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.