My Favourite Restaurant In Durham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

A little over a year ago now, I was trawling the internet to try and find a vegan-friendly restaurant in Durham, after looking through a few menus I came across Tia’s Mexican and Mediterranean Restaurant. It had a good selection of vegan dishes, reasonable prices, a string of great reviews and was close by, so I decided to give it a go with some friends. Little did I know that this fateful evening would be the start of my devoted love affair with the place.

Situated a little way up Claypath Tia’s is an absolute gem of a restaurant, particularly if you are someone with diary-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan dietary requirements, however they do still primarily cater for meat-eaters so there is plenty to choose from whatever diet you may follow! The interior beautifully decorated with a selection of weird and wonderful objects and cheery bright colours which adds to the fun and homely atmosphere. The staff also make Tia’s such a welcoming environment, with a highlight of my last visit was being notified by our waiter which of the alcoholic drinks on the menu were vegan friendly. This gesture, along with the general demeanour of the staff and the consideration for different diets which is clear from the menu, makes the restaurant seem even more inclusive and welcoming.

The food at Tia’s is some of the best I have had at a restaurant, it’s is simply delicious, flavourful, and comforting food. A particular favourite is the chargrilled vegetable enchilada, it is a dish which is worth every minute of the food coma afterwards. Other highlights of the menu are the various pizzas (which I have yet to try but already plan to in my next visit!) and the great selection of side dishes, which I am gradually making my way through with every visit. To go with the wide-ranging food menu at Tia’s there is also an extensive drinks menu, the list of tequilas and cocktails being particularly impressive and fun to peruse. For those who do not drink there is also a great list of mocktails and soft drinks which just again goes to show the inclusivity of the menu.

I think Tia’s would be a great place to bring a group of friends to have a wonderful evening of excellent food in an equally excellent setting, safe in the knowledge that everyone’s diet can be catered for. Tia’s could be a particularly great spot for an after-exams celebration where you can sample a few too many of the cocktails or have a generous helping of the ‘soup’ of the day… which is always just tequila!

Third year English student at Durham University.
20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/