Meet Jessica Siddell, Director of HBT’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Jessica Siddell is no stranger to the world of theatre. A second year student at Hild Bede, she has packed a lot into her time here at Durham. Alongside studying for her combined honours degree in Philosophy, Politics and Theology, her accolades include being a cast member in ‘Rock N Roll’, ‘Into the Woods’ and ‘Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; not to mention her experience as a stage hand, musician and even a writer. It’s safe to say, she’s a bit of an all rounder! Who better, then, to direct Hild Bede’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream? I got the chance to speak to Jessica about her directional debut, her inspirations, and the importance of good backstage vibes.

Hooked on Shakespeare since watching the National Theatre Live production of Hamlet; she knew the opportunity to direct A Midsummer Night’s Dream was something she couldn’t allow to allude her. ’I thought Lyndsey Turner’s direction was great, and the whole production seemed so utterly seamless. When I saw that Hild Bede Theatre were advertising for people to approach them with an idea for their January play, I absolutely had to take it up –it was the perfect opportunity!’

As a first time director, you’d perhaps expect her to show some apprehension about tackling the formidable king of theatre. Jessica, however, seems to be taking it all in her stride. ‘Taking on and re-imagining one of the most renowned and famous Shakespeare plays is such an exceptional experience – it’s both amazing and terrifying at the same time! His characters are so distinctive and beloved by many, so it is vital I do them justice. It’s just incredible to watch your creative vision coming together.’ She has an air of infectious excitement that you cant escape. I can’t help but want to go along and watch!

Even if Shakespeare doesn’t faze Jessica, we can’t pretend that he succeeds to install in all of us the same level of enthusiasm. She is sure, however, that her production is accessible and entertaining for all, no matter your Shakespearean background. Although it’s a pretty traditional version that leaves much of the original text unedited, she assures that language will not be a barrier. And it wouldn’t be 2016 if she hadn’t decided to give it a modern twist. ‘The lovers are all being played by women, with Lysander and Demetrius being acted as trouser roles. I thought this would an interesting inversion of the traditional Shakespearean production. It really adds a different dynamic to the performance which is great to watch’. But it doesn’t end there. Another fresh tweak is the inclusion of no time specific costumes. Jess explains how she wanted to highlight the universal nature of many of the issues and themes which arise within the play, making it evermore relatable and engaging. Jess has even acted in a version of  A Midsummer Night’s Dream set in Africa, so she’s fully aware of how adaptable Shakespeare can be.‘His works can be reinvented constantly, whether in a different time, in different language, or in a different culture – I do not think we should underestimate his works – there’s a reason they are so well-known!’

Despite the impact of her creative vision, though, Jessica modestly assures me that the production has been a ‘collaborative process’: ‘I’ve had such an amazing time working with this brilliant cast. They are ridiculously talented and I have loved every second of working with them.’ Clearly, her vast experience has left her with a renowned respect and appreciation for everyone involved. ‘I’ve tried to make sure that the actors are sure about what they are doing, and are happy with the way I am working. You have to ensure you treat everyone properly – when everyone feels valued it makes the world of difference to the play you’re creating and completely changes the dynamic.’ Her salient role has certainly not gone to her head!

By the sounds of it, then, Hild Bide Theatre’s rendition of A Midsummer Night’s Dream is not to be missed; it’s an ethereal, hilarious and must-see version of one of Shakespeare’s classics. In the words of the Director herself: Why wouldn’t you come and watch?’ Her Campus will see you there.

HBT’s production of A Midsummer Nights Dream runs from the 28th-30th of January.

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!