Meet Amy Liddell, Durham’s Very Own Fashion Blogger!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Name: Amy Liddell

Year: Third

Subject: Law

College: Van Mildert

Hi Amy, why and when did you decide to start your own blog?

I started my blog in June 2013 when I was having a gap year from education. I honestly had no idea what a blog was when I started it and had absolutely no idea what I was doing and I just kind of kept at it! It was almost like I fell into blogging accidentally as I created it on such a whim without having a clue about the blogosphere!

Do you have any tips for any aspiring bloggers? What’s the secret to a successful blog?

It sounds so cheesy but I think the key is just to be yourself. It can be easy to fall into the trap of trying to “fit in” by blogging about things which are popular but always blog about what you want, whether it’s considered popular or not. If you have a real interest in what you blog about, your writing will be a thousand times better and your blog will give off a much better vibe and draw more readers in! Plus it’s much better to stand out and blog about something which isn’t as “done” if that’s what your interest is! 

What’s you favourite high street brand?

It’s a hard choice but I’ve gotta narrow it down to Topshop and ASOS. I live for the student discount to start with but I find they’re the stores that have the highest quality and most on trend pieces for reasonable prices. Also Topshop is the only place I’ve found that do jeans that actually fit me!

What’s your favourite item in your wardrobe at the moment?

I’ve recently gotten a new faux fur coat for the winter and I haven’t taken it off since. Yes, faux fur coats can be a bit pricey but I honestly think they’re worth the investment, particularly when you consider the weather we get at this time of year up north! I always find that faux fur gives such a luxe feel to your outfit, no matter how casual it is and I’ve been pairing mine with simple jeans, jumpers and boots.

If you could steal someone’s wardrobe, whom would you choose?

Suki Waterhouse is my ultimate style crush. She has the perfect mix of 60s and grunge in her wardrobe and her coats are to die for. I love how she always looks so effortless, no matter what she wears – I don’t think I’ve seen her look bad! I also love Rihanna but her wardrobe might be a bit too risqué for a day at uni!

You’ve said that you’re a Harry Potter fan. If you could have dinner with any of the characters, whom would you pick?

Oh my lord, what a question! I’m going to go with Dumbledore. It has to be. He’s so old and wise and I can only imagine how interesting a conversation with him would be! Plus he’s got a great beard.

What’s your favourite place to chill out in Durham?

My boyfriend and I are always in Durham eating brunch and we’ve got a few regular haunts but our favourite at the minute is definitely Flat White Kitchen. It has a really great laid back vibe with a bright interior and amazing pancakes. What more could you want for a chilled out brunch date?

What’s at the top on your Christmas list this year?

I really need a new iPad as mine is well and truly on its way out but Busted tickets are definitely at the top of my list! I nearly cried with excitement when they announced they were back together (Charlie Simpson was my dream man when I was younger) so to see them live would be a lifelong goal accomplished.

Thanks Amy! I hope you get everything you wish for, for Christmas! 

20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!