Style

Lockdown Fashion- A Step Forward for Fashionistas Seeking Comfort?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Since it is roughly a year since we first went into lockdown, I thought it was about time we reflected on recent fashion trends. This was a year marked by a revival of loungewear, Zoom style and dressing up to stay in. But what are the consequences of each new trend? Can the way we dress have an impact on our mood, our energy and our day?

Let’s start with the rise in popularity of some essential items of loungewear. From pyjamas all the way to tracksuits, baggy t-shirts and hoodies – there is no doubt that a defining characteristic of the last year has been comfort. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever had so much need for socks. With this, and an overwhelming lack of urgency to leave the comfort of my house, I have found myself gathering quite an extensive collection of fluffy socks – would highly recommend.

But does this new obsession with loungewear lead to the best motivational mindset?

I’d say it highly depends. For sure, going months without getting properly dressed may have its consequences. But given the inordinate number of challenges we’ve faced this year, I think it’s more than okay for us to give ourselves a bit of a break. Even though I generally feel that getting up and ready for the day does wonders for my mindset, the irony is that I’m writing this in bed in my pyjamas. Without the threat of the dreaded zoom call (with cameras on), I often find I do some of my best writing with this set up. There is something about the epitome of comfort that sparks my creative mind – what can I say! Perhaps fashion or uncomfortable clothing is restricting our flow.

Despite this, I believe that fashion can play a massive role in setting up our aura for the day. It is not so much what you wear, but how you wear it. The act of getting up, putting together an outfit and getting ready can really set the tone for the day. This is especially true during winter, when the days are long, cold and dark. In these times, giving ourselves every opportunity to feel as though we have a good day ahead is paramount. Even if that means merely changing into a similar yet distinctly different set of loungewear…

I do think that examining the trends of the past year can help us to reflect on comfort in fashion more generally. Gone, I hope, are the days of uncomfortable dresses, stuffy suits, and killer heels (apart from the one time per month I seem to be dedicating to a ‘dress up to stay in’ night). Yet people are still finding ways to dress well regardless. I’m thinking of those put-together outfits that you can wear while lounging at home without the discomfort of feeling something digging into your heel all day –mom jeans, flares, well-tailored jumpers and the like.

Perhaps this next year can be a step forward in the direction of more relaxed, practical style. Rather than sacrificing our comfort for fashion, we can use what we’ve learnt throughout the pandemic to encourage a better use of clothing as expression.

Erin Waks

Durham '22

Hi! My name is Erin and I'm a French and Arabic student. I love writing about all things feminism, culture, languages and arts!
Olivia is a second year history undergraduate and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Durham. When she is not extensively quoting Nora Ephron, she can be found writing about news, politics, food or anything which takes her fancy.