How to live the American Dream: A day in the life of an American Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Ever wondered what it would be like to study across the pond? Well we teamed up with our friends at Kansas University to find out exactly what one might expect. After establishing that their referrals to ‘College’ were the same as our ‘Unis’ and that a ‘freshman’ was not a student still within their sell-by-date, we worked out the key differences in the student experience. Here is a guide on how to survive:

No more bunking

You know the scenario: alarm goes off for your 9am on the other side of campus, but you’re not really feeling it; so you roll over, deciding that nursing your hangover is the priority. Hate to break it to you, but being an American student involves compulsory lecture attendance, actually contributing in tutorials and fortnightly summative tests. Oh, and just in case you thought that was difficult, this grading starts as soon as you walk through those University doors. I wonder how well we would be doing if this was the case here?

Say goodbye to Quaddies

Imagine going to Klute completely sober? Actually, you probably wouldn’t even get into Klute as the drinking (and therefore clubbing) age is 21. It’s no secret that Durham students like a good drink but imagine if this had to all be done on the sly. No more donning ‘beer jackets’ as we walk through the cold streets, drunkenly yelling, making our inebriation evident to everyone unlucky enough to pass by.

Start House (party) hunting

British house parties: invite only events, usually a station for pre-drinks with maximum 25 people and to celebrate a birthday or Halloween.

American house parties: stalk the streets for the hottest house party of the night, turn up uninvited and drink away the night with at least 70 other strangers. Didn’t get into tonight’s house party? Don’t worry; there will be another one tomorrow.

Forget gold-digging

Imagine 6 months after graduation: you’re jobless, living back with ‘mom’ and dad (another faux pas in America) and you’re having to scrape together your first instalment of your student loan (plus interest btw). Student finance here can be a pain, but we can take comfort in the fact that we can marry rich and never have to pay off our debts! No such thing for our friends across the pond, who have to work alongside their degree, pay interest and make immediate repayments. Sorry guys!

Less drinking, more decision-making

Remember the halcyon days of being 18, partying hard and enjoying all that being a fresher has to offer (aka no work and blissfully unaware of post-uni prospects). No such luck in the US; by 18 you have to have chosen your major and thus your career. There would be no point turning up to an interview with The Guardian with a degree in Geography, or any other for that matter, that isn’t Journalism. Oh, and did we mention that all those subjects you despised at school (notably geometry and chemistry) come back to haunt you a year later at ‘College’. All this to create a more well-rounded (code for ‘soul-destroyed’) student.

Ready yourself for Regina George

You thought you’d kissed goodbye to that clique of girls who made your life a living hell during school; well, forget that in the US. Once you join a sorority, not only do you have to endure scrutiny by a group of people who can only be described as a worse version of the Plastics, pointing out your every bodily imperfection and personality flaw, but you have to pay them a small fortune to do so. Broken morale and an empty wallet sounds like a bad deal to me.

Want to check out Kansas’ article for their take on studying in the UK? Click here.