Holidays in Britain vs. Holidays Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

I’m a huge fan of the British holiday. Although I’m likely to return home paler than when I left, I can’t deny the sentimental charm in exploring new and familiar splendours of the country I call my own.

When pondering the ‘staycation’, the National Tourist Boards’ 2012 TV campaign sprung to mind. If you never saw it – Stephen Fry, Julie Walters, Ron Weasley and Downton’s Lady Mary galivant around various British hotspots in a bizarre yet deeply patriotic attempt to encourage a ‘Britain is best’ approach to jollies. The campaign reaffirmed my belief that British holidays have more personality than your standard ‘resort in Spain’ getaway. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE going abroad. Whether you like to ski, backpack or city break, wonders that lie outside of our green and pleasant land are abundant. Adventure, however, may be closer to home than we first realise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCZ4XjTliY

For the past couple of years, domestic tourism within the UK has been on the up. Not necessarily a ‘cheap’ alternative to holidays abroad (given the growing availability of budget flights and accommodation), the ‘Great British Holiday’ is gaining momentum. Cornwall is an obvious favourite. I’d certainly challenge any beach in the med to a beauty contest against the likes of Polperro’s Lantic Bay. 

Lantic Bay, Polperro, Cornwall, from a holiday in June 2016 

Other favourites of mine include the Yorkshire Dales, Abersoch and Pembrokeshire.  Durham Uni’s History Society fieldtrip to Hadrian’s Wall earlier this year also reminded me of the stunning views Northumberland has to offer. I’ve enjoyed many a family holiday in the Northeast visiting beauty spots such as Cragside, Dunstanburgh, and Lindisfarne (Holy Island), where the first Viking raids took place. Die-hard Michael Fassbender fans (I feel you) may also recognise Bamburgh Castle and beach as one of many stunning settings from Justin Kurzel’s Macbeth. And all on our doorstep! 

Macbeth, 2015

Of course, weather is a huge factor when it comes to holidays, and we know all too well what a cruel mistress Mother Nature can be in her dealings with the British; the appeal in jetting off to the South of France for a week of guaranteed sunshine is undeniable. Yet, there is a certain excitement that can only be found in a country as meteorologically temperamental as ours. The kind of excitement I’m referring to rouses when it’s (relatively) warm, you’re by a body of water, and SNAP your brain confirms “I’m going in” – what a glorious affirmation. Never will I forget bobbing along a gentle current of the River Wye in my underwear. Seize the day! 

Ultimately, the nostalgia of wetsuits, crabbing, 2p machines, and fish and chips combined with the breath-taking landscapes and rich history Britain has to offer make holidays at home a no brainer for me. (As long as I get my week in the sun as well!)