Grey Fireworks: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

On Saturday evening, Grey College hosted their 15th annual fireworks show. Famed for being the largest display in County Durham and attracting students from all colleges, as well as local families and couples, the night definitely did not disappoint!

Thousands of people trekked up Elvet Hill, normally uncharted territory for many, donning thick coats and scarfs in preparation for the chilly November evening in order to watch the twenty minute display. The display was exciting and impressive resulting in numerous ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ from the large crowd.

Setting it to film music definitely added to the experience, with songs including ‘Let it Go’ from Disney’s Frozen and the Harry Potter theme song, both of which were clear crowd pleasers. The night was made even more spectacular and atmospheric by the beautiful backdrop of Durham Cathedral which was lit up by each and every firework.

Most rounded off the night with a trip back to their college bars for a warming, autumnal drink, such as the very delicious toffee apple cider served at Trevelyan College bar, in order to warm up after the cold walk home.

Since the first display was organised by the college back in 2000, it has become an increasingly popular event, even winning the Durham Student Award for Best Student Event of the Year 09/10.

For this reason it has become one of the most popular events of the year for both Grey College and Durham city as a whole. Having attended the event for the first time this year as a fresher, I can definitely understand how the display attracts so many people every year -well done Grey!