A Gap Year To Remember: Interview With Rebecca Dixon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

For this article, I was lucky enough to interview the wonderful Rebecca Dixon from Josephine Butler on her amazing time travelling before she came to university. With her slightly non-stereotypical route, her memories and experiences that she relived during this interview will only make you want to ditch the Billy B and buy a one-way plane ticket out of Durham…

Our Route: Ethiopia-Kenya-India-Thailand-Laos-Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-LA-Peru-Bolivia-Chile

How did you choose the places that you wanted to go to?

We decided whatever money we managed to earn before we travelled, we would try to stretch to allow ourselves to go to as many places as possible. It was the decision between this fast paced ‘globe hopping’, or spending a bit longer in fewer places. As much as it is a cliché we also wanted to try to do some things that were ‘off the beaten track’, as well as the usual gap year trail of South East Asia and Australia and New Zealand, so we prioritised Africa, India and South America.

We had certain things we specifically aimed for, such as the original Inca trail which has to booked 6 months in advance. We wanted to experience different types of travel, so aimed to hire a camper van for 3 weeks in New Zealand, travel through India by train and do a horse trek in the Bale Mountains in Ethiopia. We also aimed to meet up with friends and family in Kenya, Australia and America, so we had these milestones to then build the trip around. Our subject interests also influenced the places we inevitably visited. 

What was your favourite destination on your gap year?

India was pretty special because it was just so colourful, unique and fast paced. But if I had to choose a country to return to it would be somewhere in Africa. We went to Ethiopia and Kenya and I feel each time you go (I have since been back to Ethiopia) there are so many new things to learn.

What’s your fondest memory of travelling?

A few times really stand out in my mind. The best moments were those that were completely spontaneous. We went to the beautiful city of Udaipur in India, which is famous for the floating palace in the middle of the lake and these stunning miniature paintings made on silk and bone. They are all over the city and on our last day we decided we would finally go and buy one each as a memento. We spent ages walking though all the old streets and markets and came across a shop with some that we particularly loved. We got talking to the owner and he said he had a whole lot more in his studio, so he took us down these pretty little side streets to this tiny studio that was in the basement of his family home. One thing led to another and they offered to give us an art lesson. We ended up staying for the whole day, during which their mother brought us home made Dahl and naan breads for lunch and we came away very proud with two miniature elephants (and quite a few other paintings we decided to buy from them)! Unfortunately there is a sad ending to the story – we sent them all home in a package from India and it is yet to arrive, 3 years later.

Swimming with Manta-rays in Fiji was something I will never forget. Floating along above such majestic, peaceful creatures with a seven foot wingspan in a channel between two islands in the middle of the ocean was otherworldly. We were lucky enough in Fiji to make friends with the local seaplane pilots; we spent an amazing day flying between islands, taking turns to control the plane and jumping off the wings into the middle of the sea. We met amazing people on the Inca trail, which was such a rewarding few days and the horse trek through the mountains in Ethiopia was the most isolated we have ever felt and such a unique experience.

What’s the most economic way to get around when travelling, and which was your favourite?

Trains in India are ridiculously cheap and (if you have good bargaining skills) the rickshaws are hilariously fun. I would not recommend the train in Kenya from Nairobi to Mombassa on the coast; an 8 hour overnight trip with dinner ended up as 30 hours in a non-airconditioned carriage with a cup of soup – it was pretty cheap though! Coach travel in South America is very affordable and covers vast distances. Just don’t book one at 4am with no Spanish knowledge or you’ll end up accidentally heading across the Bolivian border to a rogue Chilean mining town…

Were you worried about your safety before you went or at any point while you were out there?

I think I went at just the right age. I was sensible enough to understand and watch out for the issues that there could be when travelling, particularly as two young girls on their own. But I was ‘naive’ enough not to be scared by what could happen. I think as I have got a bit older, and perhaps slightly more empathetic, situations and potential dangers come to worry me more as I appreciate the consequences of things that could happen.

How did it feel finally coming back to the UK? Did you bring anything you learnt from travelling or any local customs you came into contact with back with you?

Amazing. I had loved the trip but I was very ready to come home to see my family. On the drive back from Heathrow, I remember everything looked so neat and tidy and quaint, particularly in the areas around Henley where I live. For the first year of uni I kept the bad habit of living out of a bag – every time I did my washing it would stay in the laundry bag for 2 weeks, just like my backpack! The whole trip gave me a lot more confidence to try new things, look after myself and visit new places.

What lessons did you take from your gap year?

I think I learnt that there are so many more opportunities and things happening all the time in so many different places. It made me realise that what I had been doing up to this point, while it was important, it wasn’t the be-all-and-end-all. It also taught me how much I appreciated my family and friends and while I love being abroad, I realised I wouldn’t necessarily want to be away from them indefinitely.

Is it true when people say you totally find yourself whilst travelling? Did you learn anything about yourself?

I wouldn’t say I necessarily ‘found myself’ on this trip. I certainly learnt things about myself and became more independent. But at the same time, certain things I saw and experienced, often levels of poverty or cultures that I couldn’t really imagine before, broke down my certainties of childhood and raised many more questions than they answered. I learnt in some situations I am more sensitive than I thought I was. I did not expect to feel as homesick as I did in the first few weeks. I had never experienced it as such an uncontrollable feeling. It would come on at night and I would not be able to sleep. It came with a realisation on the first few nights about how long six months really was. Luckily for me my friend was fantastic and I was able to get over it pretty quickly!

What advice would you give to anyone considering a year of travelling at some point?

Do it! We have all our lives to work, so why not take some time out to get some perspective. Everywhere can become a bubble, so it can only do good to step out for a while and see something different, experience other cultures and meet so many people. I’d also say, if you’re planning on going with someone else, find someone who shares your interests and who you can share all these experiences with. Think about whether you’re an adrenaline junky, someone who prefers culture and cities, a hiker and camper or someone who wants to try a bit of everything, and make sure you have this conversation before you go, so you know what to expect from each other. With one other person it is quite intense as you’re with them 24/7; you’ll love them and hate them and as long as you know you can let off steam, make up and move on, you’ll come home closer than ever. You’ll cry when they have to bungee jump, accidentally end up in Chile together and chase them down when they get kidnapped on a camel – and as long as they make you feel safe and make you laugh, you’re set for a great trip.

20 year old from London currently on her Year Abroad in Paris. Follow me on Instagram for photos of Paris and other interesting things. https://instagram.com/charliecronin/