Durham’s Art Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

With operas, fashion shows, theatre productions and band concerts happening on an almost weekly basis, it is no secret that Durham students love to shake up the standard student routine of drinking and sleeping by injecting some culture into the mix. The latest in this line up of civilised fun is the Durham University Art Exhibition run by  Durham student society Enactus and the East Durham Artists’ Network (edan). Featuring the work of local professional artists and Durham University students, the exhibition aims to raise money for Enactus Durham, a philanthropic organisation which undertakes projects that ‘empower communities both locally and internationally’ (think student-led, global charity initiatives).

Last Tuesday, HC Durham were kindly invited to the grand opening of the exhibition. With complimentary champagne, a lively atmosphere and some fabulous artwork on show, the evening was truly delightful and a decidedly refreshing change from the typical Klute Tuesdays. 

To find out more about the artsy venture, HC Durham caught up with Matthew Gilmour, Corporate Relations Executive of Durham Enactus and one of the organisers of the event:

First of all, how did the opening go?

. It was incredibly successful thank you! We had a really good mix of people who turned up including students and local Durham art lovers. And most importantly we sold nearly twenty paintings which means lots of money for charity!

So what made you decide on an art exhibition as a way to raise money for Enactus Durham?

Well my parents collect art and I used to visit art galleries all the time, so it has always been an interest of mine. I also noticed that Durham University doesn’t really have a society or any events that caters to the exhibiting and selling of artwork to students and locals so I thought it would be a fun thing to introduce.

What has been the most difficult part of organising the whole event?

I found that the most difficult part was actually the marketing. I think it was hard to get students to come to the event, mostly because they’re all really busy! Also, I think Durham University is such a big community that it’s hard to get the word out effectively.

What has been the most enjoyable part?

I would say the actual opening on Tuesday and walking into the room and seeing all the wonderful pieces the artists had done. That was definitely a satisfying moment after months of hard work!

What is your favourite piece of art that is featured in the exhibition?

My favourite artist was an artist called Jean Spence. She painted a collection of flowers and animals in very bright colours. Another favourite was Neida Pearson, who has actually been featured in the Saatchi Gallery. She did a series of Elizabethan paintings which have been very popular.

Are you planning on being involved with more arty projects after the success of this exhibition?

I’m planning on helping out at an exhibition at Grey College next month so that should be fun, and I am also planning on running another one of these exhibitions next year. I was also thinking of possibly setting up a more permanent art gallery in Durham, so there are lots of exciting projects on the horizon.

Thank you so much for talking to us Matthew. And good luck with all your other ventures! We are looking forward to seeing what you come up with! 

The Durham University Art Exhibition is running until Friday 28th February in the Henry Dyson room of Hild Bede College. With pieces priced between £20 to £350 this is the perfect opportunity to pick up a unique painting to spruce up your college room/student house so don’t miss out!

Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/211470609043324/

A History student with dreams of embarking on a career in fashion journalism upon graduating. I’m unashamedly a girlie girl so it should come as no surprise that my interests include shopping, ballet, baking and online scrapbooking (aka. Tumblr blogging). When not (attempting to be) a historian you can usually find me writing articles for Her Campus, Durham Palatinate Fashion, the Durham Globalist and my very own blog, ‘A Delightful Something'.
Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.