The Durham Globalist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Between seminar prep and essay writing, most of us barely have the time to read a magazine, let alone establish a brand new one. However, putting us mere mortals to shame is Sophie Tulley and her team who have been working on a brand new student publication for us lucky Durham’ers to enjoy. With an official launch set for the end of the month, here is the lowdown on what we can expect  from the Durham Globalist.   

What is Durham Globalist I hear you ask?

The Globalist is a bi-annual publication that has a focus on international affairs, namely the categories of World Politics, Culture, Science and Technology, Business and the Economy. It has its roots in Yale where the original Globalist was founded in 2005. Since then, the top 100 universities in the world have been allowed to establish their own versions of the publication, and chapters have grown to include the likes of Oxford and Cambridge.  Having been likened to The Economist by critics, Durham’s version of the Globalist is definitely one to look out for!

Excited? So are we here at Durham HC. To whet your appetite further, HC have secured an exclusive interview with founder and editor-in-chief Sophie Tulley.

What inspired you to set up a Durham Globalist?

I’ve always had an interest in media and journalism, however I’ve never really had the courage to publish my work. Establishing Durham Globalist was an opportunity to push myself to take that step forward. I also really wanted to give people like myself a chance to gain confidence in their writing abilities. One of the main things I would stress about Durham Globalist is that it’s not elitist in any way, and we try hard to encourage everyone to participate – you don’t have to be the best writer to be involved, all you need is enthusiasm and ideas!

What has been the most challenging part of the whole experience?

I found hosting exec meetings and public speaking in general quite difficult at first. It can be quite scary having 20+ people looking at you and listening to what you have to say! Related to this is having to organise people. I am typically quite a relaxed person and don’t like having to be strict with people who might not be pulling their weight etc.

Do you have any advice for someone who might be interested in establishing their own society?

My advice would be to have a strong idea of what you want and then have the conviction to see it through no matter what. With the Globalist I was initially knocked back by the Student Union who deemed it to be too similar to The Bubble and The Palatinate. However, with much perseverance (and a fair bit of pestering) I finally managed to get the ball rolling. Determination is definitely key!

Thank you so much for talking to us Sophie! Good luck with the launch and we hope everything goes well for Durham Globalist in the future!

Look out for the launch of Durham Globalist later this month! Issues will be in college libraries and on isssuu.com. 

A History student with dreams of embarking on a career in fashion journalism upon graduating. I’m unashamedly a girlie girl so it should come as no surprise that my interests include shopping, ballet, baking and online scrapbooking (aka. Tumblr blogging). When not (attempting to be) a historian you can usually find me writing articles for Her Campus, Durham Palatinate Fashion, the Durham Globalist and my very own blog, ‘A Delightful Something'.
Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.