The Durham Drama Festival 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

The 59th annual Durham Drama Festival is almost upon us. From the 8th-15th February, Durham Student Theatre will be bringing to you a week of non-stop drama, organised and put together entirely by Durham students:

“I have been able to read some brilliant writing and to be a part of one of the biggest events in the Durham University Calendar” – Serena Gosling, Treasurer

The Festival will be making use of DST’s very own Assembly Rooms, featuring 3 plays that will be performed in quick succession on both the 12th and 13th Feb – The Noctambulist, Quantum Immortality and Still Life:

“I’m really enjoying rehearsals for ‘Still Life’ so far, and being able to meet and perform with new people as well as support student writing is extremely rewarding. I can’t wait to see all the other shows” – Heather Cave, “Lily”, Still Life

…But the Assembly Rooms isn’t the only venue you can get your fill of drama this month. If you’re such a keen thesp that you’re looking for more immersive theatre, 3 more plays are being performed in the purpose-built Black Box in the DSU, also on the 12th and 13th Feb; “Roadway and Bink,” “Varmints” and “Puppet State.”

“DDF is the perfect place to try new things, so why not go all out and see what happens!”– Chris Yeates, writer and director of Puppet State

The final three plays will be performed on the “Site-Specific” Night on the 14th February, including locations such as the Debating Chamber on Palace Green. If you don’t have any Valentine’s plans, or if you’re looking for a slightly alternative date with your other half, get onto the DST website, book 2 tickets and look forward to an evening of top-quality drama being performed in some of Durham’s most historic locations.

The Festival isn’t exclusively for students, nor is it just for fun. It’s a competition, being judged by four industry professionals who will be considering what and who will win Best Play, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress and many more. In addition to this, they will be leading various intensive workshops throughout the week:

“I just hope the workshops go down well, they promise to be really special and essential for anyone interested in theatre in whatever capacity!” – Georgie Franklin, Judges Liason

So if you find you’ve made amazing progress on your summatives and have nothing to fill your time with; if you’ve always wanted to see three plays in a night and never thought you’d be able to; if you have a sudden craving to spend an evening (or three) filled with brilliantly acted and expertly written student theatre… get online and book your tickets now! http://community.dur.ac.uk/dst/listings.php

“DDF is what I am most proud of in my time at University. There are so many talented people in Durham Student Theatre and I am so pleased that we can make such an exciting event to showcase their work” Zoe Ogahara, Festival Director

Screw Lumiere; DDF is Durham’s biggest festival of the year and tickets are selling fast. Get on it!

Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.