Durham Dining: A Complete Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Speaking as someone who has spent nearly 2 terms eating my way around Durham, I consider myself pretty clued up on where to go, with whom and what to eat, so I thought I’d put my wasted calories and expanding waistline to good use and give you all the lowdown.

Flat White

Best for…feeling so damn edgy.

Durham’s answer to “Central Perk”. If you can deal with the possibility of not getting in or sitting outside and pretending it’s warm enough to stay there (it’s not) then Flat White is perfect for hanging out with friends – great coffee, very trendy, and the best rocky road you will ever taste.

Spags

Best for….friends coming to visit.

The perfect place to take fellow visiting students, or a great place for dinner with friends when you’re feeling something more appetizing than college dinner or microwaved leftovers. For the days when you feel like eating far too much Italian food, getting merry on house wine and enjoying the company of friends in a buzzing atmosphere. Cheap, cheerful, and charming.

Tealicious

Best for…a good old cuppa

Perfect, unashamedly girly tearoom complete with kitsch wallpaper, a selection of teas and cakes, scones and tea sandwiches. A perfect place for a wind-down, girl-talk or somewhere to take your gran/mum/aunt/sister.

Zen

Best for…feeling fancy

The definitive restaurant to impress. Whether you’re looking for a perfect date-night venue, or feel like splashing out when mummy and daddy are up and you don’t have to worry about the fact that your account currently has £2 in it, Zen is an uber-sophisticated, very trendy, Asian restaurant. It is not hugely cheap but the food is definitely worth the visit and if you’re feeling cheeky they have an array of fancy cocktails as well.

Be Tempted

Best for…decadence

Be Tempted has a selection of amazing cupcakes and also frozen yogurt! (once again, this involves talking yourself into thinking that Durham is warm enough…) But seriously, who isn’t a sucker for a cupcake – like you need an excuse to go here.

Tango

Best for…cheat day

Effectively a posh diner with all the food that’s so wrong it’s soo right – the most amazing burgers, fries, and all those other things which you probably shouldn’t eat but do anyway (I won’t tell if you won’t) – dinner with friends, family, and they even do a take-away service for an extremely decadent lazy night in.

Chapters

Best for…relatives.

A safe bet to take any visiting relatives – you can’t really go wrong with Chapters. I personally prefer their drinks and cakes but they also do a mean breakfast as well as a large selection of fancy sandwiches.

Paddys

Best for…soaking up alcohol.

The pièce de résistance of Durham, with chips like cardboard and pizza that you will hate yourself for in the morning, Paddy’s provides Post-Klute sustenance for the long trek up the hill. If you’re sober, this is not the place for you as you have to be completely drunk in order to appreciate the cuisine that is Paddy’s.

19 year old Psychology student, Durham University. Londoner through and through and world explorer. Traveller, chef, writer, musical geek, and shower popstar. Completely un-tech-savvy in every way, shape and form.