This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Interview with Diana Grant-Davie: this week’s Campus Celebrity!

We decided to ask famous 2nd year Combined Honours Collingwood student Diana Grant-Davie a few questions about how she maintains such a busy social life in Durham.

How have you gotten involved in so many societies?

Like most freshers, I signed up for lots of society taster sessions, but often the ones which I’m most involved in and enjoy, I didn’t get as involved in until later on in the year, discovering them through friends or other societies.  I think the saying: ‘If you want something is done, ask a busy person’ is very true and I hate to say no to an exciting opportunity, so in the last year I’ve done a variety of roles from producing a play to editing the Food and Drink section of Palatinate to organising aerobics socials. 

It makes for a hectic life being involved in so many societies, but I wouldn’t do something which I didn’t feel passionate about and love being a part of!  I’d like to explore a career in event management in the future, so I think that now is a great time to start, especially at university, with societies like Durham University Women in Business and the Durham Union Society providing you the chance to get great management experience early on.

Everyone seems to know you or to have heard your name around campus – how do you keep up with all these contacts?!

I study Combined Honours, so I see different people in each of my classes, as well as at different society events.  One of my favourite things about Durham is how nothing is too far to walk, so it’s easy to attend more than one event in an evening or bump into friends along the Bailey and arrange to go for coffee!

Also, despite having a lot of academic work and society commitments, I try my best to make time to enjoy a drink with friends at Whisky River or have a meal out with my college family.  I find that living in the Viaduct is great, as lots of my friends live within a five minute walk away, so it’s easy to visit them or have dinner parties.

As you’re obviously a very busy person, do you have any time management tips for those who might want to get involved in more societies, but are concerned about summative deadlines etc.?

I’m quite an organiser, so I find it useful to have a calendar of deadlines on my wall and social events and social engagements on my phone calendar, so that I can keep track of it all.  It’s also important to know how much you’re getting yourself into when you sign up for societies; with some there’s a big time commitment, but with others, such as writing for Palatinate, you can do as much or as little as you have time for.

There’s so much more to university than academic work and Durham allows us to try a range of affordable activities with our friends within walking distance, so even if you’re just joining one new society, it’s a great way to meet people and develop a new interest.

Finally, as it’s a Durham magazine, what’s your favourite thing about Durham?

Where do I begin?! I’ve already mentioned how I like the small town, collegiate feel of Durham and how every college has such a distinctive character, like Collingwood with our amazing fancy dress formals! Christmas carol singing in the cathedral is such a great experience and I love going for a run along the river, especially in the summer, so I’d have to say the ancient buildings and scenery in Durham, as they never fail to amaze, no matter the season.

P.s. Congrats on your new position for Head of Events for Durham University Women in Business – we expect great things!

Hey! I am a second year student at Durham University studying Sociology and Anthropology. I love writing and spending time with people and so cannot wait to start a HerCampus Chapter at Durham.