Days in Durham: Use free time for me time by taking a look around!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Valentine’s Day may have come and gone but that’s no excuse for not arranging a date with Duzza. Amongst general studying and deadlines, and the different events filling up your schedule that come along with university life, it can sometimes feel like there’s no time left for that special someone (i.e. you).  But hold up. University is supposed to be a time when we can think about ourselves and tap into what really makes us tick! Well, what better way to do this than slowing down and taking a break in the beautiful city that you worked so hard to get to! Come on, you deserve it.

Here are just three ideas about how you can to treat yourself to a chill out in Durham:

1.     Walk and take the scenic route!

Probably the simplest thing we can do to take a break and feel good is go on a quick walk. Whether it’s to wake yourself up a bit, or clear your head, get some exercise, or simply to just get fresh air, Durham is a perfect place to walk around and indulge in beautiful scenery while you’re at it!

It’s easy to forget to appreciate the environment we’re in so when you next have some time to kill between lectures, wake or early, or just fancy getting away for a bit, step outside and see where the wind (well your feet) will take you!

2.     Café trips!

Who doesn’t like having a good cuppa made for them? Whether you’re a coffee person or not, the abundance of drink and food options in the independent cafes in Durham will leave you spoilt for choice.

Meet up with a friend for a chat or just nip in by yourself with that book you’ve been meaning to read. Even just a quick visit will be sure to leave you with a warm feeling of gratefulness for what Durham has to offer.

Just a few of the unique options tucked away in the city include: Leonard’s Coffee House (very good Hot Chocolate, just saying) , the vegi, vegetarian, and gluten free friendly Jumping Bean Café, or the Dark Matter Cafe which is a cafe, comic book store and gaming venue all in one!

3.     FREE Attractions.

Finally, when wandering round Durham don’t forget about the FREE attractions that give rise to philosophical and intellectual musings (mostly cause us to gawp at and wonder how people can make such beautiful buildings). Go into the Cathedral, and Palace Green library, or pop your head into cool, independent businesses such as the Crushed Chilli Gallery and let your imagination run wild!

So what are you waiting for? Put yourself first and enjoy the place you’re living in. That way you’ll feel refreshed, and ready to tackle the challenges that we’re bound to face as the academic year rolls on!