Date or Ditch: Captain America or Iron Man?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

With the upcoming release of the latest addition to the Marvel superhero franchise – Civil War – where two of the Avengers, Captain America, the chivalrous gentleman and the egotistical and vain yet devilishly handsome Tony Stark/Iron Man face each other as foes rather than allies, I’m left wondering (given the ever so likely chance I’d be faced with such a decision in the future) who I would chose to date or ditch…you know…if the two of them were both head over heels in love with me and I HAD to pick one…(very feasible, obviously.)

Ok, so Captain America was brought up just before World War II and goes on to fight as a super soldier. He’s brave, loyal but old fashioned too. You might see that either way, as a positive or a negative; personally I’m partial to the old-fashioned gentleman. With this guy, cheating would be a distant worry left way behind in your past because he would only ever have eyes for his lady. (Heads up though, I’m pretty sure he’s been pining after the same girl since 1945) 

Tony stark on the other hand; rich, smart (and knows it), vain, self-absorbed, glory obsessed BUT deep down below all that facade has a really big heart (probably made most clear when he risks being trapped in space for ever in the first Avengers movie – if you have not watched it, I strongly recommend). He acts like the doofus but deep down he’s a big old softy. 

Both of them are superheroes which is pretty cool, I wouldn’t mind saying “my boyfriend saved the world once or twice…oh wait…yeah he just did it again”. BUT Is Captain America too obsessed with saving everybody?

Is Tony Stark too much of a workaholic? – well he did make a talking robot called ‘Jarvis’ who seems more like a best friend than a tool to help him work, bit weird? Yeah I thought so too.And guys, we’re not even considering the fact that you’d be constantly worried about either of them because they’d always be off fighting aliens or evil criminal masterminds. I don’t think you could possibly get away from the extreme stress, not to mention the threat to your own life! – Yes YOU ARE RISKING YOUR LIFE BY DATING HIM. I’d expect you to be kidnapped 10-15 times a year minimum. Could you seriously live with that paranoia?

Being scared to go anywhere alone, constantly checking over your shoulder when walking down streets for the next creepy group of henchmen to snatch you as a part of their master plan to finally defeat your man? (Would be pretty cool to be rescued though). 

If you’re still up for dating either of them, just ask yourself if you could seriously deal with (on top of all of that) all those millions of girls they’re saving everyday and how many screaming fans will be pining after them; love letters to him, hate mail to you, day after day after day after day. 

All points to consider ladies. Do you think you could bear to consider dating either of them? If so, who’s flag will you be waving in the new movie ‘Civil War’? Captain USA or Mr Stark? 

2nd year English lit student
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!