This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Personally, I was delighted to wake up on the 1st February because it meant that long, dreary January was over for 2016 and we only have the shortest month of the year between us and springtime! February can be an exciting month for some – namely, loved-up couples – because they’ve been able look forward to all the wonderful presents from their other halves on Valentine’s Day; but for singletons the build up to the 14th can be disappointing, depressing, or just downright nauseating. Whether you’ve spent time in February so far with your special someone, with friends, or in splendid solitude, a DVD box set (chocolate, popcorn and ice-cream optional) is always a winner and the way to go for the rest of the month.

1.       The Bridget Jones/Love Actually/Notting Hill Box Set

Oh, yes. Four of the greatest rom-coms of all time included in one handy box set! This 4-DVD collection includes Bridget Jones’s Diary, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, Notting Hill AND Love Actually (yes, you can watch it after Christmas). Bridget Jones’ Diary is a particularly good choice as it hilariously addresses a number of single/relationship problems which pretty much everyone can relate to – perfect!

2.       Miranda series 1-3

This is my go-to box set for an instant cheer-up. If you’ve had a long day struggling with essays, relationships, or just feeling a bit down in the dumps then Miranda’s comedic clumsiness, her company of equally silly and ridiculous family and friends, along with her often disastrous romantic exploits will instantly pick you up. Plus, whatever your relationship status, you’ll be reconciled that your own dating technique really isn’t that pathetic…

3.       Pride & Prejudice (1995)

Such a great box set for February! Mrs Bennett’s hysterics will have you in stitches, the long walks through the sunny Hertfordshire countryside will make you feel like you’ve made it to summer already, and the cutest of romances in the history of literature will leave you feeling so warm and fuzzy that you’ll forget it’s snowing outside.

4.       Friends: The One with All Ten Seasons

Because seriously, who doesn’t love Friends? Plus, you’re bound to know at least one person who’s already got this box set. And let’s not forget that there are endless life lessons to be yielded from the fountain of knowledge that is Friends: the fabulous sestet have taught us how to get (and get fired from) a job, how to deal with mature adult life (well, sometimes), how to build great friendships and relationships, and how to have fun when you’re single – popcorn and wedding dresses anyone?

5.       Star Wars Originals Trilogy

If you think you need a little more action to liven up your flat February then look no further than this sensational Star Wars box set. The Star Wars Originals Trilogy includes episodes IV-VI (the first three films from the 70s and 80s) to which The Force Awakens is the direct sequel. Possibly the greatest sci-fi films of all time, they are filled with astronomical adventure, humour, romance, and of course one of the most famous plot twists in history…

Enjoy!

I'm a 21-year old Northern Irish student currently in my final year of an English and History of Art degree at Durham University. A massive lover of the arts and particularly adore visual art and theatre. On campus I enjoy being president of Durham University History of Art Society, writing about the arts, taking part in student theatre,and being involved with It Happens Here Durham. I'm definitely more of a stayer-in than a goer-out and my ideal ways to relax is by taking our dogs for a long walk along the Antrim coast and watching to a classic British rom-com with a sizeable amount of peanut-butter flavoured chocolate and teas, lots of tea.
I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!