10 Things We All Should Do This Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Embarking on the second term of the year provides us all with a great opportunity to start afresh. So instead of battling with seemingly impossible new years resolutions, why not focus on these ten simple ideas that are bound to leave you as a happier and more fulfilled individual this term…

1.Get more sleep

Let’s face it, who actually manages to meet work deadlines, have a buzzing social life and get the recommended nine hours of beauty sleep? The answer is, not many. However, sleep is like food for the brain and without it we perform worse in many aspects of life, not to mention the effects it has on your mood. So this is the term to improve time management in order to get those all important contact hours with your pillow.

2.Stay hydrated

Our bodies are actually 60% water, so in order to keep this level up we need to be drinking about 2 litres a day. So pop a refillable bottle in your bag and you’ll see the physical and psychological benefits immediately.

3.Keep your room tidy

It may seem like a thing your mum would say in an attempt to reform your sloppy ways but seriously: Tidy room, tidy mind. If you don’t believe me just try it for a week and see how much more ‘on top of it’ you feel. Oh and apparently this is also a thing…

4.Be more self confident

Whether it be wearing that bold red lip or doing your presentation first, this year is the year to go for it! Be your own best friend, and have a little faith in the things you can do. Try channelling the self belief of an apprentice candidate, but maybe lose the one liners.

5.Make time for exercise

Physical exercise can do wonders, not only does it keep you fit and healthy but it also relieves stress. Whether it be investing in a gym membership or simply swapping a lift in your pal’s car for a brisk walk, it is worth it. It may seem bleak to leave the haven of your bed but you will feel so much better for it.

6.Devote less of yourself to social media

Social media is a brilliant way to stay connected to friends and family, and frankly I don’t think I’d be able to function without it! But it becomes an issue when it results in us becoming less connected to those around us. So perhaps take a moment to think, should I really be reading the status of Sophie the holiday rep from four years ago, or asking how my actual friend’s day has been?

7.Actually do the preparation

This may seem blindingly obvious but what with socialising, societies and well LIFE the case may be that your academic work seems to fall by the way side. If you do find yourself falling into this trap, perhaps this is the term to start afresh. A simple way to start is ensuring that you do a certain amount of hours each day, this helps to avoid overnight crash sessions and the absolute panic involved in winging a tutorial or seminar.

8.Snooze the alarm less

Before you scroll past this point in defiance, it is worth knowing that science has shown that waking up at the same time every day makes getting up much easier. Not to mention how getting up at the first beckon of your alarm results in a much less stressed and rushed morning. And hey, if you’re living in college it may help avoid the painful interaction with the cleaners as you cower in shame beneath your bed sheets.

9.Try a new society

A new term brings with it endless possibility, so why not try something new? Not only will it help form friendships outside of the college bubble but it could also provide you with a new skill. Who knows, you could discover a talent that has been waiting your whole life to be moulded.

10.Talk to loved ones from home more

In the business of University life, it is easy to let a month go by without chatting with your close ones from home. But you would be surprised how nice it would be to receive a message from you out of the blue. So try swapping that one hour Netflix episode for a phone call home!

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!