10 MOMENTS WE’LL ALL HAVE THIS TERM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This week our team was lucky enough to get a survival kit from Her Campus HQ, full of lots of freebies and goodies to keep us going this term. We’d like to say thank you to our contributors, whilst preparing ourselves for those typical university moments that are bound to hit us hard.

Oh god, it’s happened, I’ve finally got Freshers’ Flu

We’ve all been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Soon we’ll be bed bound, surrounded by Kleenex and downing lemsips faster than our double vodkas. So we’ve stocked up on Cold-Eeze as our sniffles and sneezes saviour; a quick cold and flu fix.

What happened last night?

You’re having an absolute whale of a time in Klute until you wake up the next morning fully dressed and lying next to a washing up bowl of your own puke. Only to find a bunch of babble on your phone’s recent messages, you spend the day in bed and slowly piece the night together as your mates emerge from the land of the sleeping (and incredibly hungover) students.

I hate being a girl

Periods, mood swings, sore boobs, tummy ache, back-ache and a right inconvenience. Mother Nature you sure haven’t made life easy. But ‘The Blob’ is no longer so evil with Diva Cup. Bye bye tampons and sanitary towels, with 12-hour leak free protection, it might look a bit terrifying, but this silicone cup could be the way to make that dreaded time of the month a tiny bit easier.

I should go running…(then never goes)

2am urban ovens, cakes and cafes galore in the city centre and too much reading to cook anything more than carbs. University has never been good for the waistline. But with a secret stash of 5-hour energy shots, there’s no excuse not to get ourselves out of the door and running.

I’m sorry bank account

Buying dress after dress for every formal, undoubtedly getting post night-out fast food and meeting your friends for a civilized lunch or coffee eventually breaks the bank. Pennies are precious when you’re a student.

I’m not going out tonight…(then goes)

You know you shouldn’t, but your desire to dance and severe FOMO just can’t be beaten. Why not try out New York Color’s make-up collection, get glammed up and get down to town. 

I’m so stressed, I can’t cope, what am I doing.

We all have those days in Durham when we’re confused, exhausted and crumbling at the edges. Martha Stewart’s crafts will be keeping us busy though, with great glitter glues and paints so that we can channel our inner anger and anxiety into something more creative. Bring on scrapbooking.

I really need to go on a diet

‘Shall we join a gym?’, ‘I might sign up to another sport’, ‘I need to stop getting the bus to the science site’. Piling on the pounds at uni isn’t fun until you’re face first in your delicious BBQ chicken urban oven. But with Zing’s zero-calorie stevia sweeteners, we get to enjoy a cuppa completely guilt-free.

Why is the North so stupidly cold

Layer and layer later we’re still freezing our tits off whilst walking to lectures. Frozen red hands and dry skin from the wondrous winds of Durham definitely make us all aware of the fact Christmas is coming. Treat yourself to a new scalf, a hot chocolate and a Cocoa Butter swivel stick to get your chapped lips smooth again.

I can’t do this degree

When the storm of summatives falls upon us, we can’t help but wonder why we ever applied to Durham in the first place. But check out the #actuallyshecan campaign for girlie inspiration. Now we’re feeling so much more motivated. Don’t forget ladies, you’ve got this.

Merry Michaelmas! 

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!